Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5201 (Sweater Set)

Reviewed by:Diane E

About Diane Estarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:7/12/02 5:45 PM
Last Updated:9/17/05 9:09 PM

louise said... (1/9/09 1:15 PM) Reply
yes, when I clicked on "photo" link it took me to a Flikr page that said it was the wrong link. How do I get to see the photo?
Diane E said... (9/18/05 11:02 AM) Reply
Thanks for your encouragement - it's really helping me stay motivated to finish these UFOs. I'm glad you like the scarf. The yarn is wool/mohair from Ozark Handspun. It was a splurge, but it'll be a really fun piece for the winter, and I wasn't going to be spinning and dying my own skeins any time soon (hmmmmm.... do Ineed another hobby?). I bought the yarn at Article Pract, a "not your granny's" yarn shop in Oakland, California. Jemgirl, I used size 30 needles and worked a p1k1 rib for as long as the 2 skeins would go. Slip the selvedge stitch for a neat edge. Those 30s are really big, like knitting with oars!
Georgene said... (9/18/05 10:00 AM) Reply
Love the scarf! Not to mentions the wine red slinky version of the top. Thanks for the new tips.
jemgirlca said... (9/18/05 9:25 AM) Reply
Wow, I love that color! It makes me want to go try some slinky. :) I also love your scarf and wonder what kind of yarn that is and how wide and how long you made it. Thanks for the review.
Tonia Van Dyk said... (9/18/05 6:15 AM) Reply
Thanks for the update, Diane! Your top looks great. I love your Boho scarf. What wool did you use? I had to laugh at the "purgatory drawer" comment, I think we all have one of those.
Patti B said... (9/18/05 0:17 AM) Reply
So nice -- love the color of the latest slinky. Many thanks for the reminder about slinky and steam. I may need to write it on the wall of the sewing room. ;-)
KarmenG said... (9/17/05 10:35 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the tips. I've got this pattern and plenty of knits in my stash which I will now pull out and sew up. Your tips are so helpful.
said... (11/8/02 7:56 PM) Reply
Diane, that's a good point about checking a knit's recovery-I used a heavy cotton interlock for a cardigan that grew about two sizes when worn.
said... (11/8/02 4:57 PM) Reply
Diane, your sweater set is beautiful! You always use the prettiest fabrics.
said... (11/8/02 2:34 PM) Reply
Your choice of fabrics is wonderful! I really enjoyed looking through your album.
said... (10/30/02 8:44 PM) Reply
Diane, this is really chic! What are you going to wear with it?
said... (10/30/02 9:47 AM) Reply
I love the newest version. The fabric looks wonderful. Couldn't help but check out the whole album. A super LH wardrobe!
said... (10/30/02 2:12 AM) Reply
diane, it looks great! is that what you'll be wearing to the LH workshop a week and a half from now?
said... (10/30/02 1:36 AM) Reply
Diane, beautiful set - I love the fabric. I used your hint about the 3/4" on center front and it was perfect. I think I need to size up on the cardigan, too. I just wish I had the fabric selection you do
said... (8/29/02 9:32 PM) Reply
Hi Catherine, if this helps, here's the URL http://images.ofoto.com/photos236/4/78/74/71/28/0/28717478403_0_ALB.jpg Sorry for the annoyance! Sometimes technology is not my friend.....
said... (8/29/02 9:22 PM) Reply
I have never been able to see your picture of this. :(
said... (7/17/02 2:33 PM) Reply
Hi Lisa, the tiny zigzag is stitch 02 on the Pfaff (regular zigzag) at .5 width and 2.0 length. This allows the seam to have a little give and keeps it from pulling up.
said... (7/15/02 3:05 PM) Reply
Diane, you're so funny. What is a tiny zig zag, please? Here is my chance to finally find out. Can you put it in pfaff-ese also, please?
said... (7/14/02 8:46 AM) Reply
That's a nice top. I don't think I've seen the shell without a sweater over it, so far. This is a great top that looks good without the cardigan. You did a nice job!
said... (7/13/02 3:27 AM) Reply
Your shell looks so cool, it must be perfect for a summer wardrobe.
said... (7/12/02 8:10 PM) Reply
Diane - This top looks great - but I'd pay serious money to see a picture of The Other ;-) Glad you tried again.
said... (7/12/02 7:13 PM) Reply
I can see the photo now. I think one has to be logged-in to ofoto.com in order to see the photo. What a neat shell Diane! I love it.
said... (7/12/02 6:51 PM) Reply
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. It's so great to have people to "talk" to about these patterns and projects! I am hoping that I've tamed the technology gremlins and made it possible to see the picture now.
said... (7/12/02 6:30 PM) Reply
Diane, great review - I will have to check out my top and see how the front hangs. I love the finished product
said... (7/12/02 6:26 PM) Reply
Diane, this is a very helpful review. I could not see your photo. Can you please check your photo url?
said... (7/12/02 6:19 PM) Reply
Thanks for a great review! I have not made this pattern yet but do have it in my stash. I will definitely make sure to use a stable knit. I've read about others having problems using too "sweatery" of a fabric for this pattern and being disappointed. You've pointed out what is a very tough part of garment sewing - picking the right fabric for the pattern style. I think pattern companies and independents try to help by listing suitable fabrics but sometimes it just comes down to experience and we have to suffer through those "wadders." Thanks for your tips!
said... (7/12/02 6:18 PM) Reply
Diane, I did make a full bust adjustment on this top. I too love the neckline. Your sense of humor kills me! I thought I had been sewing a long time. :-) Couldn't look at your photo but will try again later.

by: JUNIPERJUN...