Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6392 (Children's/Girls' Raincoat, Hat, Boot Liners, Backpack and U)

Reviewed by:cahmad

About cahmadstar
Member since: 4/4/08
Posted on:10/1/11 6:13 PM

See other patterns in this category: Easy to Sew    Accessories    Kids(boys & girls)
MollyApple said... (6/26/12 2:52 PM) Reply
I feel your frustration at the fabric, such a pity because it is so pretty! A roller or teflon foot may help the feed problem if you ever bring yourself to use it again. When I can't pin, I use bull-dog clips, they don't tend to mark or snag like paperclips can and hold the fabric firm. Hope your daughter got some wear out of this labour of love. Many people would have given up mid-process so you should be proud you finished it.
speekna said... (3/6/12 11:38 AM) Reply
I've made a bunch (about 10) fairly complex women's hats out of laminated cotton, and although I agree that the fabric isn't as forgiving as "normal" fabric, there are some techniques you can use to make it work. First, it doesn't move under a presser foot very well - so after trying a number of approaches, I found that lubricating the laminate with a little sewing machine oil works beautifully. Second, I didn't hesitate to use pins - I just tried to keep the pinholes in the seam allowance. Third, fitting the pieces together is not easy - they don't "give" - so I just accepted that, and worked harder at pinning/clipping close together so seaming would be easier. The hats were from a Butterick pattern that includes several bags (haven't made those) and included a piece that sweeps from the brim up the crown. I sold about 10 of them at a local exercise club I belong to - they were a real "wow" item, and a wonderful umbrella replacement!
marycds said... (10/2/11 1:13 AM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I was thinking out using this type of fabric to make a coat for ny granddaughter in Seattle. I will reconsider.
Marie367 said... (10/1/11 10:18 PM) Reply
What a shame! It looks like a potentially cute coat. I have no experience with this kind of fabric but it looks like you did a good job in spite of it!

Marfy 2264

by: yorkshire ...

BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)