Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7889

About AprilDawn
WA USA
Member since: 4/29/04
Posted on:9/27/04 3:15 PM

See other patterns in this category: Accessories

Sweater knit fabrics

skillet said... (9/23/10 10:57 PM) Reply
I've sewn this bag several times and it's gets easier. If you choose a basic printed cotton use a mid weight fusible pellon on the body but NOT the tabs. On the gusset use buckram. It will hold the bag up. Also I did not hand sew the lining to the tabs but rather sewed the handle tabs, body & lining together using a zipper foot and going really slowly. It made me uncomfortable to rely on hand stitching at such a critical stress point of the bag.
hat-and-bag-lady said... (2/9/07 8:02 PM) Reply
Hey: I was interested in this particular pattern because it is the pattern that was used in Vogue Patterns Magazine by Sandra Betzina when she wrote a column about making handbags. I guess that it looks easier than it is. But, it is an attractive bag.
hayesld said... (12/13/06 11:32 AM) Reply
This is so cute! I think I want to make one for myself. I like the color choices too. I think i'll make the tabs the same as the lining though. Thanks for the tips! You can also get a hard particle board bottom from createforless.com and then cover it with the fabric. You could also use a really thick hard cardboard. That works well though you have to cut it to fit before you cover it. The covered board then sits inside the finished bag and can be removed if the bag needs to be soaked or spot cleaned. I'm making butterick pattern 4578 and had the same floppy problem.
Katharine in BXL said... (1/9/06 10:35 AM) Reply
What a "cute" name for the bag! It's adorable. Would you consider photographing the pattern insert you drafted and posting it? It could save wannasews some headaches.
AprilDawn said... (10/1/04 9:49 AM) Reply
I suppose I could make a heavier bag out of upholstery material, but I don't think my fingers could handle the handsewing it would take to stitch the handle and loops on. Ouch. The material I used was almost like a canvas. It was home dec material. with that and the lining it was very difficult to sew through all the layers by hand.
Virginia said... (9/30/04 7:19 PM) Reply
So do you think you could make a winter bag out of upholstery material or some heavy fabric? It looks beautiful. Virginia
Jan B. said... (9/28/04 10:01 AM) Reply
Very cute--I'm into toile! Do you take requests? I'd love to see the other version with the rope handle made up ;-)
BjP said... (9/27/04 6:45 PM) Reply
Cute purse! Sorry you had so much trouble....I, too, hate doing projects that take a life of their own! Looks like you have a winner there, tho, so just enjoy it!
CarolynGM said... (9/27/04 5:23 PM) Reply
Very attractive bag -- too bad it was so difficult. I really like the size of it too.
Gigi Louis said... (9/27/04 4:15 PM) Reply
Your bag turned out so beautifully! Your bag's name really made me chuckle. I've had a few projects like that too. :-)
GorgeousFabrics said... (9/27/04 3:21 PM) Reply
What a cute bag! I love the contrasting lining.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns