Pattern Reviews> Vintage Fashion Library> VFL139 (Spadea 1149 by Ceil Chapman)

Reviewed by:lauramae

Other Projects by lauramae using this Pattern

ChristineX said... (12/16/11 8:32 PM) Reply
Fantastic!! <3
nancy2001 said... (12/6/11 1:27 PM) Reply
Congratulations, Laura Mae for winning the Threads contest!
nancy2001 said... (11/16/11 7:42 AM) Reply
My uncle, was the brother of Samuel Chapman, Ceil Chapman's first husband, whom she divorced before I was born, so I unfortunately never got to meet Ceil at family functions. But my uncle continued to work for Ceil until she retired, and he regularly brought my grandmother remnants of the most beautiful fabrics. One of my favorite early childhood memories is of going through piles of the most extravagant laces and silks with my grandmother so that I could choose the perfect combination for my Barbie doll's "Ceil Chapman" wedding gown which Grandma made for me as a birthday present. But it was only when I began sewing a few years ago that I began to appreciate Ceil Chapman's role as a leading American fashion designer of the postwar period.
lauramae said... (11/15/11 11:59 PM) Reply
Nancy Congrats to you! And how fantastic to be so closely connected to Ceil Chapman do you have any original gowns or sketches? I love each and every Ceil Chapman design I have ever seen and cannot imagine being a part of creating them!
JillyBe said... (11/15/11 8:55 PM) Reply
This is the essence of vintage glamour!!! Love love love the photo shoot. What a beautiful creation :)
Wino said... (11/15/11 7:37 PM) Reply
Very impressive workmanship and just beautiful on you. Love the color and embellishment.
sewbehind said... (11/15/11 7:17 PM) Reply
Stunning. You look beautiful in this. The colour and the style. I love how it looks from the back as well. Like Marec, I wonder where you wear these dresses? You would/will certainly make an entrance.
nancy2001 said... (11/15/11 4:21 PM) Reply
Lovely vintage dress, beautifully designed and crafted! I'm sure Ceil Chapman would be proud (my uncle was her head cutter and brother-in-law). By the way, I am also one of the finalists in the Threads Contest (Italian Chic by nancynancy). It would be wonderful if the winner came from the Pattern Review community.
FreyaStark said... (10/13/11 4:15 AM) Reply
Fabulous! A very impressive effort. I love the colour.
ReginaLit said... (10/10/11 7:08 AM) Reply
Your work is fabulous, OUTSTANDING!!!
MichelleE said... (10/7/11 6:05 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous masterpiece!!! Bravo!
Marge99 said... (10/7/11 1:02 PM) Reply
Well done, that is an impressive frock!
JTink said... (10/7/11 9:15 AM) Reply
I can't even find the words to describe how lovely this is. You did a beautiful job and look stunning.
ghijsmom said... (10/7/11 5:04 AM) Reply
This is the most stunning dress I've seen in your collection. Beautiful fabric. Beautiful work. You should be so proud of your accomplishment.
ghijsmom said... (10/7/11 5:03 AM) Reply
ClioBklyn said... (10/6/11 3:47 PM) Reply
What a triumph! This dress is stunning - a real work of art. I can't imagine the hours that went into creating it. Brava!
squirrellypoo said... (10/6/11 6:13 AM) Reply
WOW! That bodice!
manola6176 said... (10/6/11 4:37 AM) Reply
Rarely have I seen such a gorgeous dress. It is divine ! Btw, where do you wear all your dresses ?
manola6176 said... (10/6/11 4:32 AM) Reply
Karen6790 said... (10/5/11 11:30 PM) Reply
That is an amazing dress, and your color choice makes it absolutely perfect - flattering on you and yet perfectly true to the period. Beautiful work.
moushka said... (10/5/11 10:12 PM) Reply
You look like a vintage Vogue cover come to life! The dress is a masterpiece. Please, tell us about the event to which you wore it. The colour is lovely on you. Did the pattern say what year the design is from? I'm guessing early 'fifties. The New Look shape was so feminine.
Diane333 said... (10/5/11 8:23 PM) Reply
You are amazing! How can you accomplish so much seems that you feature major outfits that you've sewn every week.
calypso said... (10/5/11 7:20 PM) Reply
You look like you stepped off the cover of a vintage Vogue magazine! Fabulous job. I hope you have an event to show this off - it's so gorgeous!
Stephanie C. said... (10/5/11 6:27 PM) Reply
That is a stunning dress!!! And you wear it well. Great job!
SewWil said... (10/5/11 4:05 PM) Reply
Stunning!!! Love your fabric selection.
Norsecross said... (10/5/11 10:50 AM) Reply
Heaps of drama in the gown!The neckline is pure glamor, which generally means hard to wear and needs all those specific undergarments! Wow, look at the effect when it all lines up!
Judy Kski said... (10/5/11 6:38 AM) Reply
All your efforts were well worth it. Your dress is just gorgeous!
Rlkataja said... (10/5/11 6:18 AM) Reply
WOW!! Gorgeous!
tess said... (10/5/11 5:21 AM) Reply
Oh your dress is simply stunning and you look beautiful in it! Thank you for your detailed photos really helpful!
lauramae said... (10/5/11 2:59 AM) Reply
Thank you all for your lovely comments! Poppykettle: I used 6" horsehair braid purchased from Vogue Fabrics. I have used 1/2" and 1" previously, and the 6" really made all the difference for me (although, I suppose, it would depend on the look you are going for). Also, I am wearing two fluffy petticoats as well to create the extreme silhouette.
ChristmasHills said... (10/5/11 1:52 AM) Reply
Wow, wow, wow. That says it all really.
tsedai said... (10/5/11 1:11 AM) Reply
Wow. That is an AMAZING dress. Just lovely.
Terri A said... (10/4/11 11:23 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! The fabrics you used for this dress are amazing.
poppykettle said... (10/4/11 9:56 PM) Reply
(Do = Did!) I see from your blog that you did - can I ask what width? I'm planning to use it in a skirt similar to yours and the moment and am flummoxed over which width to choose!
poppykettle said... (10/4/11 9:52 PM) Reply
The sleeves and neckline on this dress are just so gorgeous - the fabric colour really suits you too. Do you happen to use horsehair braid at all in your skirt hem?
marec said... (10/4/11 7:34 PM) Reply
Wow!! I am always interested in your projects and wonder "Where does she go to wear such gorgeous clothes?" My lifestyle is a bit ...rural... :-) Fantastic dress!
Raye Ann said... (10/4/11 7:00 PM) Reply
LauraMae, this is so beautiful! Congratulations on such a gorgeous creation.
margk said... (10/4/11 6:29 PM) Reply
You look divine! Wow, what a dress!
Aroura said... (10/4/11 6:20 PM) Reply
Wow!! That would have taken me weeks (if ever) to complete. You make the most amazing things, and in such good time!!! Absolutely, amazingly, completely beautiful.

by: Vintage Ta...

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)