Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets
Vogue 7975 or Kwik Sew 3258">The Contemporary Couture Jacket Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Advance Pattern Company> 9948 (Half-Size Dress)

Reviewed by:wingamajig

Last Updated:10/6/11 7:51 PM
Pattern Size:Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
wingamajig said... (11/16/11 0:03 AM) Reply
Yep, Time4me is correct about the half sizes. From a vintage Sears Catalog: "...are you a shorter woman's size? For the mature figure 5 feet 3 inches and under without shoes. Shorter from shoulder to waist and fuller throughout than Miss's figure." To compare to Miss's - a size 18 on this chart from 1950 is 37, 30, 39.5 and a 20 is 39, 32, 41 - but the half size 18 1/2 is 39, 33, 42 - so petite and also larger proportions.
Time4me said... (10/7/11 12:10 PM) Reply
Half sizes are for women (pattern companies called them "stout") who are 5'3" and shorter. So, yes, petite LOL! Really lovely dress. I adore the plaid. I have my eye out for a plaid cotton and yours is just lovely.
cleverkitty said... (10/7/11 9:42 AM) Reply
does look great on you despite all the fitting you had to do ,I learned something too about half sizes in these vintage patterns.
happytobehere said... (10/7/11 8:57 AM) Reply
I agree that half size means petite. Your dress looks very fun to wear.
Auntchelle said... (10/7/11 3:31 AM) Reply
I also think you did a wonderful job. Looks like a fun dress to wear. (I believe that a vintage 'half size' means that it's a petite cut. I could be wrong tho'!)
sewbarbie said... (10/7/11 2:16 AM) Reply
I think you did a great job!
21wale said... (10/6/11 11:47 PM) Reply
Very neat! I like the plaid. And how interesting to cut open the darts.
annie1129 said... (10/6/11 9:29 PM) Reply
It looks like good fit to me, nice use of the fabric.
Aroura said... (10/6/11 7:54 PM) Reply
I've seen vintage patterns before that say "half size". What exactly does that mean? Is the whole pattern half scale, or does it just mean it's between sizes (like the 18-1/2 listed)? Very pretty dress! Great job and the fitting details. It is very colorful, love the fabric! Great dress, it looks vintage but also very modern and wearable.

by: petro