Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 02-2007-104 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

Project Photo:photo3

Pattern Photo:

Pattern Info provided by Elizabeth made this

Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Pattern Description: Plain cut unlined jacket with elbow length raglan sleeves, sporty sleeve and belt tabs, high collar, and belt

Pattern Sizing:36-44
I graded down to a 34 in the neck and shoulders without too much trouble

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?yes. The only weird direction is the "shoulder seam". This is a raglan jacket, but the sleeves do not extend to the neckline like a lot of raglan sleeves do. They stop approximately where a set-in sleeve would which is kind of a nice feature...the comfortability of raglan sleeves with morIe of the slimming look of a set-in. But back to the "shoulder seam"--it's really wee--like 1.5" or something like that. Mark your stitching lines and carefully match your seams.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love everything about this jacket. The tabs are a fun detail, the collar is comfortable and flattering, and the belt cinches in the waist nicely. I concluded that the me-without-kids-living-in-some-European-vista version of myself would totally be wearing this whilst riding an aqua Vespa carrying bread, wine, enormous greens for soup, and a costumed dachshund.

Fabric Used:stretch cotton sateen that actually was okay from JoAnn.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I shortened at the waist so that the jacket hits at my high hip per my usual.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Whenever I wear this jacket out, I will definitely consider this pattern.

Conclusion: A great jacket to layer for fall or as a spring topper. More on my blog.
Elizabeth Made This: Fall Jacket
Elemenopeo said... (10/16/11 10:18 PM) Reply
Nice!!!
Erin D said... (10/14/11 11:08 PM) Reply
What a fun and unique jacket! I love all the details that go with it. You definitely need some killer stilettos to fully complete the Vespa look.
Sewingelle said... (10/13/11 9:36 PM) Reply
I love this jacket. Thanks for reminding me about this pattern
Kayseri said... (10/13/11 5:12 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket
seeshellsew said... (10/13/11 3:20 PM) Reply
Great job! That is such a cute jacket!
eruuska said... (10/13/11 8:07 AM) Reply
This is adorable! One of my daughters wandered in while I was looking at your picture, and she said she wants one! High praise, there.

by: acanuck