Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1407 (Barcelona Dress)

Reviewed by:Izzie

About Izziestarstar
GA USA
Member since: 6/28/03
Posted on:10/4/04 11:57 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
MFrontella said... (10/13/04 1:24 AM) Reply
You've made my mind up to finally order this pattern!
JDpenelope said... (10/7/04 5:15 AM) Reply
Very nice job. Might have to get this pattern.
Jennifer shaw said... (10/6/04 7:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for the inspiration! I really love your pretty fabric.
D1Diva said... (10/6/04 0:29 AM) Reply
Thanks Izzie, now I understand what you meant about stretching while serging the seam. The zipper obviously won't work unless I add a center back seam. I guess I'll just have to wait until my pattern gets here (tomorrow!) and then I can go from there. Thanks again!
Peggy L said... (10/5/04 4:55 PM) Reply
Slenderizing? I may just need this pattern! You did a beautiful job. I've always liked dresses but haven't made any for a while. I'll have to put this on my evergrowing list.
AnneM said... (10/5/04 3:40 PM) Reply
Nice dress, good review. I always like the look of this dress - so simple but elegant. Maybe I should even get the pattern!
Izzie said... (10/5/04 3:38 PM) Reply
D1Diva, I thought about adding a zipper, but the problem with that is that there is'nt a seam that travels from the bodice through the skirt. You would have to create a seam in the back of the bodice. The hang up is at the waistline, so a short zip at the back waistline would probably solve the problem. Lazy as I am, I'll probably just keep pulling the dress over my head!
Izzie said... (10/5/04 10:58 AM) Reply
Thankyou all for your kind comments. Sorry for being unclear about serging the bias seam, I was trying not to repeat what other reviewers have already said. If you serge the skirt seam, you need to really stretch it to achieve the V shape, otherwise it draws up and the V is not as pronounced. I considered sewing this seam with a narrow zig zag, but this fabric really needed to be serged to prevent raveling. If you use the narrow zig zag, don't stretch the seam as you sew, the ease from the zig zag stitch should allow the seam to hang correctly.
Elona said... (10/5/04 10:54 AM) Reply
What a lovely version, Izzie!
D1Diva said... (10/5/04 9:31 AM) Reply
I'm getting ready to make this dress to wear at Thanksgiving. So glad to see the long sleeved version. Your comment about serging/stretching the bias seams of the skirt is a little unclear to me too. Also, since my fabric is a woven, would a short zipper work in the back to help with the on/off situation? Your dress turned out beautiful...can't wait to see the knit version!
KarmenG said... (10/5/04 9:29 AM) Reply
That is a really pretty dress! It looks so comfy. I once made this dress but it came out so big and I haven't gone back to try it again. I think I will after seeing your dress. Thanks for posting it.
Patti B said... (10/5/04 9:13 AM) Reply
So nice to have a look at the longsleeved version -- I have several of the cap sleeve and looks as if I should make this one too. I find that the neckline on the cap sleeve version is a bit too low (I wear them for work) and often end up removing a wedge at the neckline.
PhyllisC said... (10/5/04 8:09 AM) Reply
Wonderful! This is a pattern that I've been considering for a while, and your version is really inspiring.
Lisette said... (10/5/04 8:01 AM) Reply
Very pretty
artndl said... (10/5/04 6:59 AM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful dress! Your fabric selection is terrific!
MickeyFan said... (10/5/04 6:52 AM) Reply
Very pretty. I keep looking at this pattern thinking I should give it a try because everyone raves about it. Just so I am clear, are you saying you should stretch the bias skirt seams or no? p.s. I also enjoyed clicking through some of your other project pictures in your Yahoo photo album. Very nice work.

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2005-101B

by: yummymummy...

by: Jonni Ange...

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Acrylic Base In 5 Sizes