Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8411 (Pants)

Reviewed by:llamaduck

About llamaduckstar
Member since: 11/29/03
Posted on:10/5/04 10:29 PM
Last Updated:10/5/04 10:33 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
AshaEmmy said... (7/23/06 5:27 AM) Reply
I agree with Fuzzygalore, I too, use twill tape for the pocket edges - this has removed all gaposis! I was given this patterns by a friend, who picked it up at an OP shop - will definitely make it.
fuzzygalore said... (2/7/06 11:22 AM) Reply
Completely agree that the pocket gaping is likely due to stretching of the fabric. I always incorporate a length of twill tape into the seam of the front side of the pocket, and have never have this problem again. It's kind of a mess to do :-), but so worth it..
llamaduck said... (10/7/04 5:49 PM) Reply
hey all, thanks for the great comments! I decided on a button for the closure, partly from the comment that they sit flatter. Plus I love buttons. I'm a bit short-waisted. The waist fell right below my bellybutton, but I should have shortened the crotch. I'm not sure if that's a function of the pattern design or my body shape. The hips fit closely, but are not at all snug.
meli88a said... (10/6/04 9:55 PM) Reply
i like these -- so elegant! about where does the waist sit, and how fitted are they in the hips and crotch?
Jennifer shaw said... (10/6/04 7:30 PM) Reply
Great pants, llamaduck! Such pretty fabric too.
AprilDawn said... (10/6/04 3:00 PM) Reply
Very cute pants. Now I have another pattern to add to my sewing list.
SandraB said... (10/6/04 9:17 AM) Reply
Nice job on your first pair of pants. I'm very impressed. I agree with Kathleen, a button closure lies flatter than a hook closure. If you decide on a hook, it would probably work better if you used two hooks, since your waistband is wide.
Deepika said... (10/6/04 6:54 AM) Reply
The pants look perfect. Love the fabric too.
Mini said... (10/6/04 6:21 AM) Reply
Congratulations on a successful first pants project. Burda was a wise choice, as you didn't have to bother with major fitting problems. I would also go with a hook closure-it's easier and neater. If you like the look of a button, you can just sew one on as a decorative touch without an actual buttonhole.
KathleenS said... (10/6/04 3:01 AM) Reply
Great first try at pants llamaduck! Thanks for the tip about the width of the legs - it doesn't really show in the pattern photo does it. I would probably go for a button because they tend to lie flatter for me. However, at this stage it would probably be easier to add the hook, and a bit more adjustable.
Elona said... (10/6/04 2:14 AM) Reply
Nice-looking pants, llamaduck. You did the right thing in narrowing the legs, I think. About the gaping pockets: The gaping edge is bias, and prone to stretching. To prevent that, you can use the same technique used on the roll lines of blazers or the diagonal edge of a wrap top. Cut some stay tape the length of the pocket edge, including seam allowances, and then apply it either by fusing or stitching. If your fabric is really loosely-woven, you can pull the tape just a wee bit shorter than the actual edge, but be sure to leave enough room for your hand to slip into the pocket!
llamaduck said... (10/5/04 10:31 PM) Reply
oh, I haven't decided on a closure yet - button or hidden hook. and thoughts appreciated.

by: Campbell