Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8217

BC Canada
Member since: 11/4/02
Posted on:11/14/11 9:45 AM

Kayseri said... (1/3/12 3:35 PM) Reply
Great review and a nice result. I've got this pattern & a nice stripy knit for it; but your experience reminds me I WILL need to make a muslin.
MidnightBleu said... (11/17/11 10:19 AM) Reply
Love the top. Photos in your review were helpful to understand the alterations you made. Very detailed review is quite helpful.
Heatherrique said... (11/15/11 10:08 PM) Reply
What a sleek looking top, Margaret! Your attention to detail is admirable!
Margaret said... (11/15/11 8:08 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the nice comments! Vintage Joan, if you still wanted to raise the neckline, I think the best way might be to just add (an inch, or whatever amount) all the way along the diagonal edges of both fronts and the same amount to the back neckline (it's not high, so I think adding a bit there would be fine). If you wanted to raise the front neckline but not make the neckline narrower at the shoulders or higher at the back, you could make the addition angled rather than an even amount, and taper it to nothing at the shoulder, but keep in mind that the neckline would then not be on the straight crossgrain, unless you changed the grainline. You could also shorten on the L/S line printed on the pattern at mid-armhole, but again, you'd have to carefully true if you wanted the entire neckline to stay on the cross-grain. HTH!
ChristmasHills said... (11/15/11 1:46 AM) Reply
Thank you for all that effort in writing this review. I think your top looks very nice and is the nicest one I've seen of this pattern.
marec said... (11/14/11 7:34 PM) Reply
The very best review I have read recently!! I love the top and think it is very flattering. Thanks for an exhaustive review.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (11/14/11 6:14 PM) Reply
WOW!! You'd be a wonderful sewing prof, my DFF Margaret!!
FreyaStark said... (11/14/11 5:28 PM) Reply
Your perseverance and attention to detail is impressive, and the result is worth the effort.
Terri A said... (11/14/11 2:09 PM) Reply
What they said... and really great review!
Vintage Joan said... (11/14/11 12:53 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for this! It's very helpful. I have this pattern but wasn't sure how to raise the neckline. Your other adjustments are very helpful, too, especially the sleeve adjustment. :)
renren said... (11/14/11 10:59 AM) Reply
Yes, the neckline isn't as low as you would expect from the pattern photo. And yes, I like that there is an asymmetrical sleeve cap since that's just the way bodies are built. Thanks for your very detailed review--I know you could have another top almost sewn in the time it took to write a review like this! Oh, by the way, I like your top. Interesting pattern. I recognize the model from one of my early Burda pants patterns.

by: arianamani...