Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4731

Posted on:11/15/11 9:17 PM
Last Updated:11/17/11 11:07 AM
Pattern Size:Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
ryan's mom said... (6/30/12 8:32 PM) Reply
Thank you "sew" much, Sewing Cee! Your review was very helpful because I'm sewing in a laceeis corset this weekend into a wedding dress for a customer.
Sewing Cee said... (4/4/12 10:45 AM) Reply
Azgitana, this sheath dress requires a fabric with lots of body. If you used rayon, it would have to be a rayon with some body perhaps rayon shantung. Even then, you are not going to get by without completely lining the dress if you are going for white, off-white or ivory. My daughter's dress was made of a heavy peau de soie lined with Ambiance. When we triedonnthe finished dress, we had to rush out to David's Bridal and buy a full-length sheath half-slip! The problem is that white takes three layers to avoid see-through. Since the bodice of this dress had a built in white foundation, there was no see-through at the top, but the lower part required the half-slip. A full skirt wuld probably not have had this problem. I've never been to Hawaii, but I've been to the Virgin Islands many times and I always wear cotton in the daytime when I am there. People who live there told me that cotton is the way to go in the tropics. I hope this helps you. Good luck and Happy Wedding!
azgitana said... (4/3/12 11:53 AM) Reply
Do you think this dress could be made in a rayon? Im planning a hawaiian wedding, so I want something cool.
Raye Ann said... (11/17/11 10:56 PM) Reply
Amazing! The workmanship looks impeccable. What a treasure to be able to preserve and actually re- use the "wedding lace"!
MaryDB said... (11/16/11 11:02 PM) Reply
Wow, I am just swooning over this dress - it's absolutely gorgeous. Such lovely lace, wonderful work, beautiful bride.
MarianS said... (11/16/11 8:54 PM) Reply
What a wonderful legacy! The dress is absolutely fabulous! It's plain to see how much joy and love you put into it. Thanks so much for sharing all you learned.
nicegirl said... (11/16/11 3:59 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! How wonderful to use the lace for all your family's happy occasions.
NewRibena said... (11/16/11 2:27 PM) Reply
Great detailed review and such a beautiful dress.
Sewing Cee said... (11/16/11 2:12 PM) Reply
Marcia, Thanks for pointing out the problem with the link to the dress back resource. I corrected it so it works now.
Marcia R said... (11/16/11 1:01 PM) Reply
Excellent review and a beautiful dress that will be cherished. I tried to click the link for the dress back resource, but get a tech company or another that builds websites. Please check and resend if you discover the problem. Thank you!
OlindaM said... (11/16/11 6:45 AM) Reply
What an elegant and beautiful dress, the simple lines are perfect and show off the lace wonderfully well.
Huntwoman said... (11/16/11 5:19 AM) Reply
So much helpful information here. Your daughter and the dress are both lovely. What a wonderful story.
Karen Easter said... (11/15/11 11:59 PM) Reply
Just lovely... and I loved the story behind the dress!
RadarRadiance said... (11/15/11 11:33 PM) Reply
Just beautiful! I really enjoyed reading your review. The dress and lace are beautiful and I love the back of the dress.
Sewing Cee said... (11/15/11 10:13 PM) Reply
Thank you EMSB! It's my first review so I'm glad someone liked it. Did you click the links I put throughout the review - where it says "Click here"?One of them shows the back of the dress.
EMSB said... (11/15/11 9:51 PM) Reply
Fantastic review! Your daughter looks beautiful. I'd love to see a picture of the back of the dress. Having your mother sew your wedding dress is very special. I know from experience, as my mother made mine. Even more so when it includes your great-grandmother's lace, I'm sure.

No Pattern Used 001