Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5206 (Criss-Cross Top)

Viewed 1999 times
Reviewed by:PegL

About PegLstar
Member since: 2/18/04
Posted on:10/14/04 11:02 AM
Last Updated:10/14/04 11:03 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

PegL said... (5/6/06 3:36 AM) Reply
Thanks for the nice comments. Looking back now, after all I've learned from so many talented members on PR about fit in the past almost two years, I can see that these shirts didn't fit me well nor flattered me in any way, shape or form! LOL The pintucks were the only decent thing about this review. I feel inspired to try again and see if I can make this pattern fit me now!
Sew it seams said... (5/5/06 11:41 AM) Reply
I missed this review as well, Peggy. I love the pin tucks. What a great idea. I have always liked the look of the cross-over bodice when it crosss over above the bust like this one. Very nice.
MaryBeth said... (5/5/06 11:37 AM) Reply
I missed this whole review until today. Those pintucks are fabulous, Peggy!
els said... (5/5/06 9:15 AM) Reply
The pintucked yoke makes this top stands out in the crowd, thanks for showing.
DaneDogMom said... (4/14/05 4:38 PM) Reply
Thanks for a great review - being a LH junkie wondered about this one...and yours looks better than the pattern envelope. Great job! Love the texture the pintucking gives. Hope you share any dress you might give a try using the same pattern.
JDpenelope said... (12/8/04 3:54 AM) Reply
Wow, Glad I didn't miss this terrific first review. You are a talented lady and this is a well-written review! Me too, to most everything that's already been said.
Annika said... (10/15/04 11:30 AM) Reply
PegL - this is grrrreat! I was just thinking of purchasing this pattern and now that I've seen your versions, I am inspired! Many thanks for a great review!
Londa Rohlfing said... (10/15/04 7:50 AM) Reply
Congratulations - and they both look great! Your neckline came out much bigger than mine - but then I felt I should put in clear elastic to stabilize it over the long haul as I always do on knit necklines. Here you could see a picture: On the yoke, that is embossing with a clear acrylic stamp on Slinky Knit. Also - I note that the flat yoke version is actually reversed on the pattern cover. The accent is drafted fot the left shoulder. :) LOVED your idea and addition of the pintucking!!!
PegL said... (10/15/04 7:38 AM) Reply
Fran, the red knit from Wazoodle was in a t-shirt grab bag I got from her. It and the lavendar shirt are all cotton. They are a nice quality and weight -- better than what I find at Hancocks or Joanns. Hope that helps! Thanks to all for the nice comments! Makes me want to sew more!
Fran G said... (10/15/04 7:05 AM) Reply
Beautiful tops..very helpful review... you did just great.Do you happen to know the fabric content of the Wazoodle knits? Rayon, cotton, lycra? They look like a very nice weight. Love the red!
Danvillegirl said... (10/15/04 5:36 AM) Reply
Timely review for me as I was thinking about purchasing this pattern. Looks good on you. Like the red top with pintucks.
Debbie Cook said... (10/14/04 9:57 PM) Reply
Great first review!! I just LOVE the pintuck idea and I will definitely be stealing ... er ... borrowing that. You commented in my review that you wish you understood fit alterations better. I highly recommend Fit for Real People (FFRP) by Palmer/Pletsch. This will show you exactly what I did and how to achieve great fit over a generous bust. Thanks for sharing now and not waiting for that last 14 lbs., and congratulations on the first 50!!
CarolynGM said... (10/14/04 5:56 PM) Reply
I like both these tops on you. The pintucking on the red one was a good idea for an embellishment.
Modiste Madness said... (10/14/04 5:42 PM) Reply
That pintucking looked like a lot of extra work but it sure added to the top. Both your tops and review are good.
slee said... (10/14/04 5:37 PM) Reply
Your top looks wonderful on you. I saw this top at Loes Hinse's shop about 2 months ago. I've been waiting to see someone make this and review it. I think I might have to get this pattern too.
Mini said... (10/14/04 4:19 PM) Reply
Thanks for describing this. I had wondered if it had two overlapping front pieces, or just a yoke for the underlayer. Your tops look much nicer than the pattern photo. (Maybe you could use the extra pintucked fabric for a pocket, or a little matching bag.)
sewsue said... (10/14/04 4:18 PM) Reply
Lovely tops. I really like the red one on you an d the pin tucks are a great effect. Thanks for an informative review.
Deepika said... (10/14/04 3:46 PM) Reply
wow, love all the versions of your tops. Thanks for reviewing this pattern so quickly. Didn't it just come out? Thats what I love about reviews!! I think I might just have to get this one too.
tamtay said... (10/14/04 3:26 PM) Reply
Congratulations on your first review! Those tops are wonderful on you and the pintucking is a great accent. I haven't done much snoop shopping lately so it's nice to know what's out there. Thanks for the review.
PegL said... (10/14/04 2:42 PM) Reply
Thanks everybody for your very nice comments on my first review! Since losing over 50 pounds in the last year, I feel as if I'm starting over with sewing! I'm struggling with finding the right styles and fit for me now. I had hoped to drop the last 14 pounds I need to before beginning to do reviews but I began to feel guilty about taking information from so many others without sharing any myself! Hillary, I may wait until the last pounds come off before I make the dress! I would love to have breast reduction surgery but since that's probably not in the budget, we'll see how it goes. KarenP -- I haven't made the cowl top so I can't compare sleeves. Sorry! I do have skinny arms though -- about the only thing on me that has ever been skinny! LOL Thanks again all for the nice comments! I appreciate it so much!
SouthernStitch said... (10/14/04 2:42 PM) Reply
Very professional pintucking! Looks great on you.
Ruth C said... (10/14/04 2:29 PM) Reply
Wonderful review. I am so glad someone reviewed this pattern as I have been wondering about it.
KarenP said... (10/14/04 1:50 PM) Reply
Thanks for the helpful review! You mentioned that the sleeves are too big. Many people have complained that the sleeves of the cowl top are too narrow. If you've made the cowl top, how do these sleeves compare?
ChrisK said... (10/14/04 1:22 PM) Reply
Peg, I love the pintuck detail. You have 3 very nice fitting and pretty tops.
Hilary said... (10/14/04 1:12 PM) Reply
These tops are gorgeous on you! I especially like the pintucking on the red one-what a great way to jazz it up a bit :o) I hope if you make the dress you'll share it with us.
Levone said... (10/14/04 1:05 PM) Reply
Nice looking tops! I'm glad to see a review as I just bought this pattern for myself.
jlg said... (10/14/04 12:26 PM) Reply
You tops look very nice on you. I'd been hoping to see a review of this pattern. Thanks for the review (which you did just right, by the way).
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (10/14/04 11:36 AM) Reply
Very flattering neckline, too! The pintucks are a nice accent!
Elona said... (10/14/04 11:21 AM) Reply
Very pretty, very RTW! I notice that many, many of the criss-cross tops in the stores are done this way. They're not real crossovers with two layers across the entire front. Mostly, it's one front piece with a little, partial front piece joined where the lapover would be.
Gigi Louis said... (10/14/04 11:12 AM) Reply
Your tops came out so pretty! I love the pintucked yoke on the red one.

Other Wine Bottle Gift Bag