Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4348 (Skirts with Hem Variations)

Reviewed by:jlg

About jlgstarstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/03
Posted on:10/16/04 5:55 PM
Last Updated:10/27/04 4:35 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
LiZ said... (10/28/04 3:27 PM) Reply
Beautiful skirt in a beautiful fabric. Looks lovely on you.
Katharine in BXL said... (10/28/04 8:47 AM) Reply
Never mind US WNTW. Your skirt is terrific! I don't think it looks hippy either.
MickeyFan said... (10/27/04 6:39 PM) Reply
Your skirt looks great on - I don't think it makes you look hippy at all! You are not alone in the zipper ripple department. I have the same problem with side seam zips... I also second your vote on wool challis, I love that stuff. Wool anything is a pleasure to work with.
GorgeousFabrics said... (10/27/04 4:47 PM) Reply
There are two things that I would try on a bias/zipper combo. One, fuse a 1/2" strip of interfacing, centered over the seam line, and two, insert the zipper by hand. Hate to say it, but it's the only way I have ever had success inserting a zipper in a bias garment. I love the fabric! -Ann
Gigi Louis said... (10/16/04 8:14 PM) Reply
Your skirt is beautiful - I am amazed at how much you get done! From the looks of it, the seam where the zip was installed stretched a bit. I often find it helpful when inserting zips in bias seams to allow the garment sections to hang out first, then stabilize the seam (pinning a stabilizer in while the fabric is on the dressform is especially helpful) and insert the zip. As everyone else mentioned, they are usually problematic. Personally, I find invisible zips the easiest because they do allow the outer fabric to drape as it wants. I wouldn't worry about it though - your skirt is so beautiful and flattering just as it is!
candyo said... (10/16/04 7:15 PM) Reply
I had the same problem with a bias yoke on a skirt and a lapped zipper. So, misery has company! I still like your skirt a lot, though.
drsue said... (10/16/04 6:44 PM) Reply
Nice skirt. On the zipper, the bias is definitely the problem. You might stretch out the fabric by hand, then stabilize in the stretched position before attaching your zipper. Also I would sew in the zipper by hand - - it's not that hard and you have much more control.
Mini said... (10/16/04 6:11 PM) Reply
Zippers in bias garments are always a bit problematic. The bias edge tends to stretch, while the zipper tape does not. Sometimes it helps to stabilize the bias edges with a strip of fusible, or a row of staystiching. I have noticed that vintage garments with a bias cut used an in-seam placket opening rather than a zip. The plackets were closed with tiny snaps or sometimes baby buttons and buttonholes. You may be able to find instructions in one of the couture sewing books. Otherwise, your skirt looks stylish, and the color is very sophisticated-Michael's fabrics are great.
Danvillegirl said... (10/16/04 6:09 PM) Reply
I am not sure why you have the ripple at the zipper. Perhaps it is the bias cut. I am not good at inserting lap zippers because I get puckers or they just don't lay right. I get better results with invisible zippers. I am not the expert on this subject and I am sure you will get helpful advice.

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2003-136