Online Sewing Class: Fit the Tee to a T

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 11-2011-120 (Dress with Front Ruffle)

Reviewed by:ImListening

About ImListeningstar
Member since: 2/24/09
Posted on:12/23/11 12:47 PM
Last Updated:12/25/11 11:33 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
ImListening said... (12/27/11 8:34 PM) Reply
Thank you all for your comments. The pattern calls for "wool and blends". And the fabric used in the magazine photos is wool crepe. AS MENTIONED IN THE REVIEW AND IN THE COMMENTS ABOVE, 5/8" SEAM ALLOWANCES WERE ADDED.
yummymummy38 said... (12/25/11 6:38 PM) Reply
This question Sounds really obvious, but is it recommended for knit fabrics only? It's unusual for Burda to be really two sizes out otherwise. Otherwise, it is easy to forget to add seam allowances to something ;)
persevering said... (12/25/11 12:17 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress! Thank you very much for your review and discussion especially regarding sizing.
SewWil said... (12/25/11 11:52 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress!
ImListening said... (12/25/11 11:28 AM) Reply
yes, I added 5/8" seam allowances.
tsedai said... (12/25/11 9:57 AM) Reply
Very nice! I usually can go with Burda's sizing - it has been very consistent for me. Did you remember to add seam allowances when you traced? I nearly forgot on my first Burda and remembered only just before I started cutting fabric. You look much slimmer than I am, and I would think a 42 would be too large... Otherwise this must be a very oddly sized pattern for Burda. In any case, very nice review - love your dress!
Aroura said... (12/23/11 5:27 PM) Reply
I think it turned out beautifully! You did a great job with all that work getting a good fit.
BeaJay said... (12/23/11 5:13 PM) Reply
Love the outfit - really like how you have done the buttons. It looks great on you.
Anne Cherry said... (12/23/11 5:08 PM) Reply
ah...I see your point! Signed: ImNotReadingAsCloselyasIShould ;-P
ImListening said... (12/23/11 4:52 PM) Reply
Thank you for your comments. My point was that I DID go with Burda's measurement charts on my first muslin and it was way to small. I had to go with a size on their charts which indicated it would fit a person much larger than I am to get a reasonable fit.
Anne Cherry said... (12/23/11 4:45 PM) Reply
I like your sleeve buttons! Agree with dbsewer, best to go by the measurement chart with Burda. I like Burda (and European patterns generally) better than the US 'Big 4' (Vogue, Butterick, McCalls. Simplicity) - they are more dependable - ie - I can pretty much make a size 42 and know it will fit, whatever the style.
dbsewer said... (12/23/11 1:53 PM) Reply
Burda fit is not the same as US patterns, so you have to really go by the measurement chart. Even then, a muslin or two is a must. But I like your dress and think it's really pretty, and you did a very nice job with the ruffle.

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-117