Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7335 (Misses' Caftan, Top, and Pants)

Reviewed by:Maven

About Maven
Skill level:Beginner

Posted on:7/16/02 4:43 PM
Last Updated:7/16/02 4:44 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Sleepwear

Sweater knit fabrics

Love Lone Star State said... (9/13/08 3:27 PM) Reply
Forwarned is forarmed. I will cut muslin to determine how to adjust the short top. Thanks for the heads up!
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (9/18/04 9:14 PM) Reply
I just bought this pattern to make as a night gown. I was thinking about how I was going to enlarge it, but i guess I won't have to! thanks for the review...you have saved me some pain. I will measure over my shoulder and set the middle pieces where i want them on the neck. I will let everyone know how it turns out.
Charlotte R said... (1/26/03 8:00 PM) Reply
I have this pattern but have not made it yet. Thanks for the warning on checking the sizing before cutting it out/
said... (10/28/02 10:01 PM) Reply
I was also very excited to make this caftan, and I had the same trouble Maven did. It fell off my shoulders and was much lower cut than the picture showed. I also had trouble aligning the horizontal sewing lines. One side was higher than the other. Fortunately, I did not make it in the fabric I bought the pattern for, but from a piece I had left over.(I made the short version to see if it fit). I don't know if I will try this one again. I really think there's something goofy in the pattern which will require many adjustments around the shoulders and neckline, and in doing so I'm not sure you could keep the vertical lines of the garment visually straight. It requires the mid-pieces both front and back to be raised up to under the collar bones so the shoulders will stay on. I worked on this thing for a week and still it didn't turn out just right. I think, all in all, it's a darling pattern but not a well-designed one.
said... (8/2/02 1:51 PM) Reply
Maven, I made a similar Vogue pattern back in the 1960's-it may even be the same one with a new number! Mine was also so huge I gave it away to a tall man. Vogue pattern sizing is not reliable. You really need to measure the pattern pieces, and expect to go down a size or two from the printed chart. It helps to use your high bust measurement. If I used Vogue's size charts, I would cut a size 22, but a size 18 is closer to fitting-but still oversized. This is why I don't bother with Vogue unless I REALLY like the style.
said... (7/18/02 5:46 AM) Reply
Caftans are so cool to wear in the summer, and at home in the winter, love them too, and there are many more models this isn't the only one, so good luck with the next one.A good review.

No Pattern Used 000