Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5438 (Waverly)

Reviewed by:stillsewing

About stillsewing
Member since: 12/20/06
Posted on:1/17/12 4:16 PM
See other patterns in this category: Accessories    Crafts

Claverie said... (6/24/12 6:14 PM) Reply
OMG! I wish I had some help with this bag! I should have read your review FIRST before attempting it. I'm CLUELESS! Driving me nuts. Read the instructions over and over and .. you get the point. I'm hoping it'll come to me, but so far, much disappointment if I can't finish it. I'm not using quilting and it appears things aren't matching up either. I have all day tomorrow to ponder this.
stillsewing said... (1/18/12 1:18 PM) Reply
Thanks for the encouraging words! Its difficult to explain why the lining was so large but it is certainly not because of the quilting. To explain: there are too internal pockets that hang from inside the sides of the bag, and then in between them there is the interior of the bag that is reached by zip. The zip is about three/four inches below the top of the sides. The lining is supposed to hang from the zip tape but is the same size as the outside of the bag. (From that description you will understand the difficulty I had in reading the pattern instructions) So I finished up with lining that was 3/4 inches too large! In addition it was supposed to be attached by hand. This is one change that I made to the pattern that I forgot to mention -- I used invisible thread and stitched it in by machine.
JDpenelope said... (1/18/12 7:13 AM) Reply
Just thought of something -- The pattern might still be wrong, but when you quilt a piece, it becomes smaller -- and the other pieces might not fit together as well. Just something to think about. Did you quilt it first, THEN cut out the pattern piece? If so, then it's probably a flaw in the pattern.
JDpenelope said... (1/18/12 7:10 AM) Reply
I'm with heathergwo -- Take a breather and come back later. You are right that it takes a lot of time and trouble to make a bag. And, depending on the pattern, you need a strong machine to pierce all the layers. But making bags can be addictive. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad patterns out there, too. I'm now making my own patterns. Thanks for your honest review.
heathergwo said... (1/18/12 0:25 AM) Reply
don't give up on bags! I've made tons and LOVE them! They're fun little sewing projects and usually turn out really nicely! Check out my page for several reviews on bag pattern.... so sorry to hear that your experience didn't turn out so well. I have this pattern, so now I'll either not make it, or know beforehand how big it is...thanks for the review

Understanding Wool Fabrics