Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7918 (Hats)

Reviewed by:sailonsilvergirl

About sailonsilvergirlstar
IL USA
Member since: 6/20/03
Posted on:11/4/04 2:35 PM
Last Updated:11/4/04 3:09 PM

els said... (11/9/04 6:43 AM) Reply
You made a very elegant hat , looks very nice on you.
sailonsilvergirl said... (11/8/04 1:29 PM) Reply
Hi Eli, regarding pressing the seams: I pressed each seam as I worked, before going to the next step. I think I used the tip of the iron to press the top to the crown, and I draped the hat over that skinny rounded edge of the ironing board so I could have some flat spots to iron. So I had no problem ironing that part of the hat. I did not topstitch the brim because 1) I didn't want stitching to detract from the leopard patterns and 2) I have a hard time sewing leather/suede, with skipped stitches and the presser foot leaving slight marks on the underside, which is visible under the brim. So rather than risk those problems with all the lines of topstitching, I decided to use interfacing for support instead. Next time I make this, I will do the brim topstitching so the hats look different. Good luck with view D!
Katharine in BXL said... (11/7/04 9:39 PM) Reply
Your hat is so cute! It must look brilliant with a red lining and leopard. Thanks for the tip on interfacing instead of topstitching--makes this faster and easier. I love this pattern too. I'm also the same height so I'll watch out for tall hat troubles.
Eli said... (11/6/04 11:29 PM) Reply
Do you have any advice as far as pressing the seams, particularly the one where the crown attaches to the top and did you topstitch the brim or not? I am asking because I am about to start View D and it occured to me that there would be some seams that would a nightmare to press and topstitch.
SewTabby said... (11/5/04 11:47 AM) Reply
Very, VERY nice! I love your hat! Been eyeballing this pattern for a while, and yours turned out beautifully.
sailonsilvergirl said... (11/5/04 11:42 AM) Reply
Hilary, you may also want to consider taking a bit off the brim as well to keep the hat pieces proportional. I had already finished the hat when I realized it was too big, but I didn't want to take the entire hat apart!
Hilary said... (11/5/04 5:37 AM) Reply
Love it!! I will be putiing this on my wish list-thanks for the tip on making a petite adjustment! I am 5'1" so I will follow your advice and watch out for the top piece too. Thanks for a great review!
Towanda said... (11/4/04 9:38 PM) Reply
The hat is perfect
PattiK said... (11/4/04 9:11 PM) Reply
Love that hat!
Jennifer shaw said... (11/4/04 7:24 PM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this pattern. Wow! I am impressed with that you used suede for your first hat!! It looks great on you.
Elona said... (11/4/04 6:49 PM) Reply
That is soooo cute! Just perfect.
sailonsilvergirl said... (11/4/04 4:22 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for that website, Eli! They do have some good big buckles. Diana, I got the leopard suede from an eBay seller called leatherwise. At any time, they usually have a few pieces of leopard suede up for bidding. The piece is big enough for a hat and a good size tote bag!
Diana M said... (11/4/04 4:10 PM) Reply
This is one of those "She made it and you can't even tell" items that make a person glad they sew -- just gorgeous!! Where did you find you printed leather?
Eli said... (11/4/04 3:45 PM) Reply
Forgot something. You might try this siate http://www.karolscloset.com/index1.htm for some big buckles, I have also just recently seen some at Joann.
Eli said... (11/4/04 3:36 PM) Reply
I have the same pattern, recently bought it. Last night was looking at it trying to make up my mind which design to choose and also wondering how it would turn out. Thank you for your review, it was very helpful and yout hat is gorgeous!

Contest Mini Wardrobe 2013