Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1407 (Barcelona Dress)

Reviewed by:drsue

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

drsue said... (9/26/06 9:57 AM) Reply
Popo: I'm probably not the best person to give advice regarding how to handle a full bust. the dress has more waist shaping that you'd expect, especially on the sides, due to the bias grain line of the skirt. You can't overfit the bodice, however, or you won't be able to get it over your chest.
QuickFade said... (9/25/06 12:22 PM) Reply
I've been tempted by this dress because it looks like you could make it, throw it on in the morning, dress it up with a scarf or chunky necklace and wear hosiery and pumps to make yourself look professional in a business casual environment. But, I have not tried it because looser things without waist definition can make me look heavier due to my full bust and small frame. Any thoughts on this? is this better for a smaller busted woman? If made in a black drapey knit so it's not too loose, would this be slimming? How would you handle a full bust alteration if this is snugger in the bodice than expected? My high bust is 34 and my full bust 36 or somewhere around there, depending on the bra I'm wearing. I'd need an XS for shoulders according to measurements but also need an FBA unless there was lots of ease, tapering to a S for waist and hips.
labsmith said... (8/20/06 10:15 PM) Reply
Very comprehensive. Drsue sounds like an expert to go to with construction and fitting problems. I appreciate that she is not praising the instructions but determines that the pattern does turn out a good product in careful, thoughtful hands. Think I'll try it.
ashleyanne said... (6/24/05 8:44 PM) Reply
I read the reviews, and think this dress would be overwhelming on my 4-11 daughter
kbrock said... (11/8/04 5:17 PM) Reply
I have made several of these - both long & short sleeved - made of matte jersey. I went down one size to get a closer fit and it worked great.
Danvillegirl said... (11/7/04 3:44 PM) Reply
Dress turned out nice in spite of all your challenges. I have had this pattern for years thinking it would overwhelm me. I might reconsider if I attempt to adjust as you did.
Jennifer shaw said... (11/7/04 11:47 AM) Reply
I love how your dress turned out !! Thanks for the detailed review.
CarolynGM said... (11/7/04 5:34 AM) Reply
Drat drsue -- no zipper potential -- I just love this pattern, but I haven't bought it because loose tops like this often look very frumpy on me. You did a great job making yours more fitted, but I probably don't have the patience to do the necessary alterations.
drsue said... (11/6/04 10:53 PM) Reply
Irina: It would be really impossible to put in a center back zipper. You could put in a vent with a button on top at the center back however, but I don't think that would really allow much of a closer fit through the bodice. The only thing you could do would be to put a zipper in the side seam under the arm as you often see in 40's and 50's dresses. I have done this but it is pretty difficult and I'm not sure it would be really worth the effort.
Annika said... (11/6/04 9:52 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and congrats on 50+ pattern reviews!
CarolynGM said... (11/6/04 8:03 PM) Reply
The dress looks nice drsue. Could a zipper be added to allow closer fitting in the bodice?
CatherineN said... (11/6/04 7:34 PM) Reply
This dress is very attractive on you.
Lisette said... (11/6/04 7:33 PM) Reply
Your dress does look good. Thanks for the detailed review.

by: egreen42