Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8491 (MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE JACKET, BELT AND DRESS)

Reviewed by:SavageCoco

See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Coat/Jacket
Type:Suits / Separates
Fabric:Rayon Jacquard  [See other projects in this fabric]
Saving a Wadder

Pattern Description: Sheath dress and princess seam jacket.

Pattern Sizing: 14 - 20. I cut a 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Originally, NO. Not at all. When I first made and reviewed this wadder two years ago I hated it but loved the fabric too much to toss it out but did toss the pattern.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I thought the dress/jacket combo would be a chic and easy look for work. But the finished product, both the dress and the jacket looked awful. Horrible fit on both.

Fabric Used: A very fluid and very pretty basketweave rayon jacquard from Beverly's end-cuts corner. It was really just a remnant. It frayed and moved everywhere. Impossible to sew with. I underlined everything but it just hung with no movement or shape and bulged everywhere. I tossed it in my own remnant pile until recently unearthed in recent stash tidying.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I had added 1" to the waist length and hem but both were still too short-waisted for me. Originally, I hand-basted this thing together many times and and the fit just kept getting worse so gave up the game.

How I fixed the jacket: I took the jacket completely apart and removed the underlining. (On the train, baby - efficient time management is everything.) Since the underlining had not changed shape (unlike the fashion fabric) I used these as my pattern pieces to cut fusible and block fused all pieces with Pellon's EK-130 Easy Knit, crosswise stretch only. It was chosen for the weight. It turned out to be a good weight to re-stabilize the fluid woven.

I also did not have enough fashion fabric to make complete facings (or the belt), so I cut the bottom end of the facings from lining and pieced them. Then using the former underlining pieces again, cut a lining. For the back lining piece I placed the pattern 1" from the fold to add in the movement pleat.

Then I put it all back together again and although it looked much better, the fit was still awful - the top of the front side piece and front sleeve piece where it all met at the top of the bust was off a good 2". However, since the pieces were better stabilized, I was better able to alter the fit until it hung correctly, and cut off the excess.

I made the same alteration on the lining then bagged the lining in. I used #10 snaps, covered in the lining fabric instead of buttonholes so it can be worn with a belt.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? For me - Never. Ever. Again. This type of raglan sleeve is very uncomplimentary on me.

Conclusion: Originally, I felt this jacket and dress was a complete waste of time. I put hours and hours into both the dress and jacket utilizing every trick I knew, all to no avail. Yet, as mentioned above I liked the fabric too much to toss it, so perhaps once I came across it recently, I saw a solution with new eyes and gave it another go. It still does not look good on me. However it looks terrific on my boss! Perhaps not a waste of time and skill after all. I reduced (and tidied) the stash pile, finished a UFO AND made the boss smile. After all, we're only a few months from annual bonus time. I may be dumb but I sure ain't Stoopid.

Yet, I have no idea why this review is all in Bold. . .

sewnaughty said... (9/19/15 10:08 AM) Reply
The jacket is beautiful. I love the fabric choice. Sorry it didn't work for you. You did a fantastic job.
krafts said... (9/18/15 4:13 PM) Reply
Love this, I'm glad that your boss liked it.
carolynw said... (9/17/15 5:31 PM) Reply
I almost had a heart attack when I saw "would not recommend" as I thought what a beautiful looking jacket and so very well put together. Now I understand :)
fauxgetaboutit said... (9/17/15 2:35 PM) Reply
I love that you did not give in and discard this. It looks beautiful on your slot playing double (one armed bandit...sorry, couldn't help myself). Your boss is going to really score on this.
stephena said... (9/17/15 10:25 AM) Reply
I luv the fabric, and it appears to be well made. Very attractive and detailed. Job well done if you ask me.
olga1 said... (9/17/15 9:38 AM) Reply
On the manniquin the jacket looks lovely. Thus, if you made your Boss look lovely you won on more scores than just getting rid of some stash!
ditchstitcher said... (9/17/15 7:56 AM) Reply
Such a struggle! Love that you showed us the inside, I appreciate a beautifully finished inside and the details like covered snaps. Looks like you won your fight. Beautful finish!
AnneWhalley said... (9/17/15 4:44 AM) Reply
This is so hilarious! True adventures in the sewing room. Thanks for the honest appraisal.

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2012-151