Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8614 (JACKET DRESSES)

Reviewed by:couturemom

About couturemomstar
NC United States
Member since: 7/19/11
Skill level:Expert/Couture
Posted on:2/16/12 9:13 AM
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Coat/Jacket

sewnaughty said... (3/20/13 4:16 PM) Reply
I just purchased this pattern Vogue had an out of print sale. Thanks for the review. I cant wait to make it.
AdjuaP said... (9/1/12 3:56 PM) Reply
looks great - the ribbon really picks out the seam lines. great idea.
jlg said... (6/18/12 6:10 AM) Reply
This is fantastic. I love the lines in it and how you highlighted them with the ribbon.
couturemom said... (2/17/12 4:07 PM) Reply
Perservering - Thanks for the comments. I unfortunately don't remember the specific tweaks I made to the pattern sizing, as I made it last year. However, in general I can use a size 12 without too many changes. I usually nip the waist a bit (prefer things to fit a bit more snugly), sometimes flatten the hip curve, add to the neckline (if low cut), use a 3/4" seam at the shoulders (I'm short), and take in the bust (nursing 2 kids decimated my bustline). My mother taught me to sew when I was younger, and then I found I enjoyed making clothing for myself and just practiced a lot after I graduated from college and had more free time. I have picked up most of my techniques from reading books and browsing this site, which has so much good info. I also have the temperment for sewing, which in my opinion requires attention to detail and patience. My career is in finance - go figure.
Levone said... (2/17/12 3:42 PM) Reply
Gorgeous suit!
Karine said... (2/17/12 8:22 AM) Reply
stunning! I've loved this pattern since it first came out - thanks for the review.
VivianZ said... (2/17/12 7:53 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress. Great fabric/trim design detail!
Scheryka said... (2/16/12 6:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I have had the dress cut out and ready for about a year and half but could noever get the flanges to act right. Did you have issues with them? I may pull it out and take a millionth look at it.... good job.
RLL said... (2/16/12 4:50 PM) Reply
Sheseams said... (2/16/12 4:09 PM) Reply
Oh Pretty! Love the ribbon touch!
CraftAddict said... (2/16/12 2:22 PM) Reply
Very VERY nice!
SVN said... (2/16/12 2:11 PM) Reply
This is a stunning suit. Beautifully made.
SewWil said... (2/16/12 1:24 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! Love the addition of the ribbon in the seams.
TJSEWS said... (2/16/12 12:40 PM) Reply
MaryDB said... (2/16/12 10:25 AM) Reply
That's a really fabulous outfit! Great work.
4u2cme said... (2/16/12 10:20 AM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this pattern. I have it in my stash. I loved the lines of the outfit when I saw it in the catalog. Your outfit is lovely.
nickelc624 said... (2/16/12 10:14 AM) Reply
wow, this is a beautiful suit!
redside said... (2/16/12 9:49 AM) Reply
Beautiful work!
persevering said... (2/16/12 9:33 AM) Reply
Wow! Your outfit is AMAZING as is the coat you previously showed us. If possible: 1) Can you please specify if you needed to make alterations &/ can you share your measurements?) and 2) Your profile lists you as an advanced sewer (which is clearly evidenced by your sewing) , can you please also share how you got to be? Thank you
Pattern Work