Online Sewing Class: Altering Pants

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8622 (T-shirt)

Reviewed by:Maria Hatfield

About Maria Hatfieldstar
OK USA
Posted on:11/18/04 2:50 PM
Last Updated:11/18/04 3:13 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Needs More Info by 1 people
AnneM said... (11/21/04 7:34 PM) Reply
Lovely top, what luscious fabric. I like Karla's "cheat" hint. The shoulders look fine to me in the picture.
Maria Hatfield said... (11/19/04 11:43 AM) Reply
What would i do without everyone of you and your help you so freely give ? Thank you so much.
SouthernStitch said... (11/19/04 8:17 AM) Reply
Yay! This one looks very good, Maria. If all you need is hip ease, you've got a winner! I envy you sewing stretch velvet - I've not been brave enough yet!
Runrover said... (11/19/04 8:12 AM) Reply
Maria, your t-shirt looks great on you. I love the color and fit.
Karla Kizer said... (11/19/04 6:12 AM) Reply
Maria, I have been known to cheat to add extra room at the hip: when I place the center front and center back of the pattern pieces on the fold, I just slide the hem end of the pattern away from the fold a little. Leave the top of the pattern lined up with the fold. You can do this on the front or the back or both, depending on where you need the extra room. Moving the CF and CB away from the fold by 1" would give you an additional 4" in the hip and you don't have to mess with changing anything else on the pattern. And another thought: if you want to remove a little bit of excess shoulder and neck width, you can do the reverse at the top of the pattern pieces: let the pattern hang over the fold just a tiny bit. I've done these sneaky changes on both wovens and knits - but knits are the easiest because the fabric is so forgiving.
MaryBeth said... (11/19/04 0:02 AM) Reply
Pretty, pretty, pretty. I agree that the other patterns were too big on you. All you need is the extra fabric through the hips and this is a winner!
Sherril Miller said... (11/18/04 9:51 PM) Reply
Maria, this is the best fitting of the three! It's also beautiful, I love your fabric. Mini gave great directions on how to add to the hips. I, too, have to add about 3-4 inches to patterns to get it to go around my big belly and hips. Since it's so easy to add to the hips, try not making the upper chest so large, and just add where you need to. Thanks for sharing your reviews, and the photos. Now smile! :D
Diana M said... (11/18/04 7:20 PM) Reply
Maria, I love this shirt on you -- good color, great fit! It should be easy enough to add to the hip. Wish I had a pattern that fit me as well.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (11/18/04 5:57 PM) Reply
These tops look beautiful and so do you.
Mini said... (11/18/04 4:53 PM) Reply
You did a beautiful job of sewing this shirt-velvet is a tricky fabric to work with. Adding hip ease is one of the easiest adjustments to make-believe me, I know:)! Really, all you need to do is decide how much bigger the measurement needs to be, and then add 1/4 of this amount per side seam at hip level. If the upper part is okay, just angle the wider seam allowance in above the hip, and taper it back to the original size at the top.

Grainline Studio 11003