Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 2853 (capes)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Skill level:Beginner

Posted on:11/28/04 4:27 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes

drsue said... (2/26/05 8:42 AM) Reply
No black mesh. I had to seriously re-work the hood in the pattern to get the desired effect.
MagpieJen said... (2/25/05 10:23 PM) Reply
Awesome Nazgul! :-) Yes, I am one of those weirdos too. The costume turned out much better looking than the pattern drawing would have suggested. Did you achieve his ghastly no-face-except-darkness effect by simply draping the hood in front of it? Or is there a black mesh in front of his face?
KitnRose said... (12/7/04 9:43 AM) Reply
Beautiful costume! I love your review, I'm a closet LOTR lover (working on my second of two LOTR-inspiried costumes) and enjoyed reading an 'outsider's' perspective of it all. I'm sure I sound the same to my trekkie friends. :) Many kudos to you for making such a beautiful and authentic costume from a movie that doesn't appeal to you. Excellent job! The gold clasp is just perfect.
Athelas said... (11/30/04 7:27 AM) Reply
When you get the movies, find the part in the appendix of the first movie that has the Costume Designer discussing how difficult it was to make the Black Rider clothes--I think you'll appreciate it! Yours looks perfect!
Elemenopeo said... (11/29/04 1:10 PM) Reply
I'd rather sew the outfits than watch the movie too - but it came out great!
AnneM said... (11/29/04 12:02 PM) Reply
Weird, nothing. You should really try the books again. Nice cloak; I'm certain your son loves the look.
JDpenelope said... (11/28/04 10:14 PM) Reply
I don't know from Dark Riders, but I did enjoy your review. I fell asleep during the first 10 minutes of the first LOTR movie--don't understand the appeal, but realize I'm in the minority here. At my son's request, I pre-ordered the complete LOTR Box set due out on Dec 17, just in time for Christmas.
CarolynGM said... (11/28/04 7:16 PM) Reply
That cape is so authentic!! I love it. I'm an LOTR fanatic too, so I don't think your family is weird at all.
Diana M said... (11/28/04 5:50 PM) Reply
Excellent job -- love the spirit of it all!
Hilary said... (11/28/04 5:07 PM) Reply
ROFL!! I thoroughly enjoyed your review- I think I'd love your family, so I guess that makes me a weirdo too :oP hehe-the cape is really great, I knew exactly what it was when I first saw it, the dark riders are very spooky and you succeeded marvelously in creating that look. Thanks so much for sharing and telling about your family :o) btw-the sword is really cool!

Folkwear 207