Online Sewing Class: Bust Adjustments

Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 917 (3 tees)

Reviewed by:R. Tee

About R. Tee
UnVerified member
Posted on:7/18/02 11:05 PM
Last Updated:7/18/02 11:06 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people

said... (7/19/02 3:24 PM) Reply
Last nite I took off the sleeves and was pleased to find that the short-sleeve version turned out to be a very nice top! To respond to everyone's helpful comments: 1) Amanda: as I mentioned in my review I expected the sleeves to fall below my shoulders. I did not expect them to fall so close to my elbows. I found the dropped sleeves to be unnaturally dropped. 2) Skymom: I found the amount of ease in the body of the top to be perfect for a top, tunic or dress. Basically I do really like the body of the garment. The neckline, amount of ease in the body and short sleeves which extenuate from the body of the garment are all very nice!
said... (7/19/02 10:33 AM) Reply
From the pattern sketch, it looks as though the long-sleeved version is the cut-on short-sleeved top with added sleeves starting partway down the upper arm. It's a bit odd--not quite dolman, and not really a dropped shoulder, either. However, I imagine that the tight lower sleeves are important for keeping the whole thing from just slipping down your arms and over your hands. I'd love to hear how the short-sleeved version goes. What did you think of the amount of ease in the body--would it be sufficient for this to be a straight but not tight dress or tunic?
said... (7/19/02 9:56 AM) Reply
R.Tee, I have made both versions of this, and I think the seam that joins the body to the sleeve is not meant to hit your shoulder. The short sleeve top has cut-on short sleeves similar to KS 3036. It may be more the style than the size that didn't work for you. Hope the short sleeve one works out better.
said... (7/19/02 0:33 AM) Reply
I am sorry this pattern didn't work so well for you. I agree that the sleeves are very tapered, but I found that sewing the seam allowance at 3/8" instead of 5/8" in the sleeve area was enough to fix them. Let us know how the shirt works as a short sleeve, I have considered that but not yet tried it.
said... (7/18/02 11:56 PM) Reply
mudcat, i used cotton/lycra (95/5).
said... (7/18/02 11:53 PM) Reply
What kind of fabric did you use?

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS