Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2172 (misses costume)

Reviewed by:jadesabre9

Pattern Description:
Steampunk costume!

Pattern Sizing:
I made a Size 20.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Mostly. Some of the pictures were not super easy to understand - such as how to connect the ruffle on the collar, and how to slipstitch the bottom closed.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the costume, but in general do not like pattern instructions. This was no different. Pictures were not so good sometimes.

Fabric Used:
The coat used a stretch knit pinstripe fabric, and for the ruffles I went with a chiffon instead of an organza. For the bustier I used a silk brocade.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did not make the skirt - opted to sew a pair of pants instead (will review that pattern separately). I used cord for the loops on the back of the coat - I don't recommend that, very thick to sew over. I also did not sew the tie piece to go through the loops. I will be buying something to fill this need. On the bustier, I put the boning on the lining rather than the outside fabric due to a mistake ... but it worked well enough.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, though it took a pretty long time. I started at the end of February, but sewed intermittently on it. Maybe a week's worth of work if I was sewing back to back?

Conclusion:
I learned a lot with this pattern, and cannot wait to wear it to the yearly convention I go to.

Made a second time with Modifications! -- 03/12/15
It's been almost three years since I made my first version of this coat. I still love the coat enough that I decided to make a modified version of it for everyday wear (I have only worn my costume a handful of times, despite loving it).

This time I used a light brown suede fabric. I made some modifications - no sleeves or ruffles, no lining, no loops on the back of the coat, and I shortened the coat length. The only decision I'm slightly unhappy with is the no lining one ... but then again I made this version in about 3 hours one afternoon. You can't really tell that it isn't lined because the coat is shorter, but seeing the seams as I put it on bugs me ... I might decide to cover them with bias tape someday, but it would take a lot to overcome my lazy and do that.

This coat is part of a cute geeky Firefly outfit, with some leggings I patterned and sewed, and a tunic I did not make. Check out more details at my blog, Quests of Quirkiness: Firefly Outfit
frame said... (3/12/15 12:31 PM) Reply
Both of your versions of this pattern are fun. Your sewing is very adventurous. Thanks for sharing. :)
jynclr said... (7/9/12 1:43 PM) Reply
Looking good! I'm glad to see someone else making this costume. I reviewed this one and I agree, it does take a long time (I made the skirt, twice. oi.) But it is a heck of a lot of fun. Great job!
jadesabre9 said... (4/26/12 8:27 PM) Reply
Thanks all. Manybells, I read your review before I started - love the costume you made from this pattern!
manybellsdown said... (4/23/12 4:32 PM) Reply
I so love this pattern. I really like the contrast with the red trim on yours! So many people (including me!) seem to leave off the sleeve flanges too, I like seeing the coat with them on.
SuzyBee said... (4/17/12 5:41 AM) Reply
Looks great! Fits you beautifully too.
tsedai said... (4/16/12 4:22 PM) Reply
Looks great!
mgode said... (4/16/12 1:48 PM) Reply
Looks marvelous on you! I've been dithering on this pattern for a while, but now I think I'll give it a try, for the coat at the very least.

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern