Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 05-2010-130 (new directions skirt)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

Pattern Photo:

Pattern Info provided by Elizabeth made this

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Cotton Sateen  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: pencil skirt with asymmetrical waistband, fly, back welt pockets, and denim like pockets in front with little pleats in the body of the skirt at the bottom of the pockets.

Pattern Sizing:34-44

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
yes, minus my changes

Were the instructions easy to follow?It's actually the illustrated course pattern in that particular issue. There's nothing difficult about how it's put together, and I didn't use the instructions, but they're there, which is reassuring if you're a beginner or haven't sewn with Burda before. The big advantage of the illustrated course pattern is that it's shaded in pink on the pattern sheet, which makes it much easier to navigate the subway map that are the tracing sheets.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I was really drawn to the front pockets. I kind of like how the pleats peek out of them at the bottom, and I knew that the slanted would give me a good opportunity to pipe the top of the pockets (fun especially since I was using a stripe). The asymmetrical waistband is a fun detail too.

I also don't like the pleats. They're kind of poofy, despite looking rather cute in the line drawing. I should have noticed the photo of the magazine skirt.

Fabric Used:stretch cotton from Denver Fabrics--kind of denim, but lighter and with not quite the same weave

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I added the piping to the pockets, stitched down the pleats from the wrong side to keep them set and made double welts on the back instead of the single welts called for in the pattern. It gave me more of a chance to highlight them since I made the welts bias, and I'm better at double welts than singles.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Nah, I don't need another one of these in my closet, but it is a great skirt, and I'm not above borrowing the front pockets (minus the pleats) for some pants.

Conclusion: A great Spring skirt.
more on my blog.
Elizabeth Made This: Striped Piped Skirt
Levone said... (4/23/12 10:00 AM) Reply
Great looking skirt! I love the piping on the pockets. Great job on the welt pockets.
KatC83 said... (4/23/12 7:20 AM) Reply
I think this skirt is sweet, and appropriate for so many occasions - casual, work, etc. I love it!
pdiddly said... (4/23/12 4:12 AM) Reply
that is a fantastic skirt and I love the way you have styled it too
velosewer said... (4/22/12 11:07 PM) Reply
Love this skirt. You've done it well.
Lori V said... (4/22/12 10:37 PM) Reply
What a cute and stylish skirt. Great job.
Sew4Fun said... (4/22/12 10:20 PM) Reply
Nice casual skirt. I like how you styled it.
barebear said... (4/22/12 7:47 PM) Reply
Ooo, I really like the skirt! Very cute.
BexInMD said... (4/22/12 6:58 PM) Reply
This is a really cute skirt. I like the piping on the pockets. You've styled it really well with the sash and red shoes!

Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern