Pattern Reviews> Ottobre Woman Magazine> 05-2007-9 (skirt)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

Pattern Photo:

Pattern Info provided by Elizabeth made this

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Cotton Sateen  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Basic A-line skirt with curved front patch pockets bound with self bias at the top of the pocket, denim style back pockets, hip yoke, back invisible zipper and belt loops

Pattern Sizing:34-52. I cut a straight 34, but it is definitely roomy. I should have taken the sides in a little. As it is, it just sits a little lower on my hips than it otherwise would which is just fine.

for #2, I sewed the seams at 1/2" instead of the 3/8" that I had originally allowed to fix the big issue, and that worked just perfectly.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?the instructions are brief, but clear as all Ottobres seem to be.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I love the denim details and the patch pockets are so comfortable and really make this a more than plain skirt. I wish that the pockets were a little more visible on this skirt, but I'm okay with them being kind of op art hidden details as well. I like that the front pocket is bound with self bias--cute detail.
front pocket and belt loop
back pocket and belt loop

Fabric Used:an awesome teal and white cotton sateen I bought from Denver Fabrics. I passed by it in the flat folds a couple of times before I concluded that I would regret not buying it. It was $4/yd and there was 1 1/6 yards in the fold, so it was hardly spendy. Bonus--this skirt only used 28 inches of my 54 in wide fabric. It's hard to beat that.

#2 is a coral cotton twill that I had bought from Denver Fabrics with a pair of coral J Crew shorts in mind to copy. When I got the fabric, it was too heavy and not drapey enough for shorts, but worse, it was this electric, capable of radiating your cat shade of orange. I found an article from Threads on dyeing with bleach and decided to experiment a bit.
I mixed a 1:1 solution of bleach and water in a squeeze bottle and applied it randomly over the fabric and let it set for 15 minutes, at which point I washed and dried it. The bleach definitely softened the orange considerably and the true coral started to be evident. To further alter this fabric, I overdyed it with weak solutions of Rit Pearl Grey and Rit Petal Pink. I let these set overnight and then washed them. The dye is very subtle and doesn't change the overall effect of the bleach dyeing, which I'm kind of happy about. In all of this, the fabric lost even more drape, making it perfect in my mind for such a pronounced a-line skirt as this one. Wanting to have another skirt just so that the pockets could have a chance to shine, I'm not sad I sewed this fabric up with this pattern.
#2 skirt front
#2 skirt back

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:In a rare move, I changed nothing. I liked the details and my fabric is loud enough to speak for itself. I gambled on the fit and other than being a little too loose, it's perfect.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?yes, maybe not with all of the pocket details. There's several different versions of this skirt in this issue of Ottobre. There's one with some pleats (#13) that looks interesting.

Conclusion: Such a comfortable skirt that will definitely be keeping me cool in the summer heat.
More on my blog.
Elizabeth Made This: Almost teal skirt

and for version 2:
Elizabeth Made This: Bleach splattered skirt
Heatherrique said... (5/5/12 11:36 AM) Reply
Cool looking skirts, Elizabeth!
Christas said... (5/4/12 5:55 PM) Reply
Both versions are REALLY nice! Thanks for the tips for dying with bleach. What a cool looking fabric the bleach dying makes!
Elemenopeo said... (4/30/12 8:25 AM) Reply
very nice!
Vintage Joan said... (4/28/12 10:32 AM) Reply
Nice!! Great review -- thanks. :)
KensingtonCrab said... (4/28/12 8:44 AM) Reply
Cute! Love the fabric!

by: katecorrie

Ottobre Design Magazine 05-2006-16

by: 21wale

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sassy Bag Paper Pattern