Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5974

Posted on:5/10/12 9:18 AM
Last Updated:5/10/12 9:21 AM

Other Projects by Peggyscloset using this Pattern

happygrammy50 said... (5/16/12 7:53 PM) Reply
Thanks for your help. I hope my dress comes out as good as yours.
Peggyscloset said... (5/16/12 5:33 PM) Reply
Sure! I think gathers would work well.
happygrammy50 said... (5/16/12 9:34 AM) Reply
I have another question. I made a practice of this dress and don't like the pleats. Could I gather the skirt instead? Thanks for your help
Peggyscloset said... (5/15/12 1:13 PM) Reply
For the binding, I measured the length of the neckline and cut the binding that long, but didn't use the full amount. I stretched the binding very slightly as I sewed it to prevent any gaping, and lopped off the unused portion of binding when I was done.
happygrammy50 said... (5/15/12 11:25 AM) Reply
How long did you make your binding?
Laurie Lou said... (5/11/12 4:06 PM) Reply
Thanks Peggy! I'll try this method. a bit differnt than I do. I love my Coverstitch...but I'm with you...the binders look complicated.
Peggyscloset said... (5/11/12 2:28 PM) Reply
Thank you all for your kind comments! They really mean a lot to me! Laurie Lou ~ I do have a binder attachment for my coverstitch, but I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't figured out how to use it yet! *Blush* I need to figure it out because it'll give a more professional finish. As it is, I used a 2" wide piece of fabric, folded it in half (lengthwise), sewed the raw edges of the binding to the wrong side of the bodice, stretching slightly, then trimmed the (5/8") seam, folded the binding over the trimmed seam to the right side, and topstitched. I like this method because of the clean finish on the inside. Unfortunately, my topstitching is only so-so.
Laurie Lou said... (5/11/12 1:15 PM) Reply
Very nice!!! I got this fabric in the pinks...but you got a much better price! I love your bound neckline and wondered if you have the binder attachemtn for your coverstitch machine? It looks so professional. I only have the Covoerpro...but no special attachments. Loved your blog post too. Thanks for your review. I'll have to dig this pattern out.
Levone said... (5/11/12 8:32 AM) Reply
Pretty dress!
Scheri said... (5/10/12 10:25 PM) Reply
Beautiful and I think thefabricis perfect. I gave this dress a go couple years ago maybe it's time to try it again now that I have more experience. Thank you for your review.
imsewcrazy said... (5/10/12 9:17 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Love the fabric. Love the bound neckline.
jlg said... (5/10/12 7:47 PM) Reply
Love this dress (fabric and all). By the way, I love the phrase "selectively frugal."
allycovey said... (5/10/12 4:27 PM) Reply
THis is a beautiful dress, I am sorry the fabric was hard to work with but the result is worth it right? Where can you buy a dress like that for less than 5 bucks
Christas said... (5/10/12 4:22 PM) Reply
This is a great looking dress .... love your fabric choice, too! You sewing looks flawless!
Mahogany Stylist said... (5/10/12 1:07 PM) Reply
Lovely dress. I'm thinking about making another version of this dress soon.
ArtAttack said... (5/10/12 1:01 PM) Reply
Great version of this timeless classic. Can't wait to see it made up in that other great fabric!
halleyscomet said... (5/10/12 11:29 AM) Reply
Lovely dress!
RadarRadiance said... (5/10/12 10:34 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, the fabric is really pretty.
lakaribane said... (5/10/12 9:53 AM) Reply
I just made this pattern and intend to sew another one sew, with the sash. Lovely fabric even if it was a PITA to sew, LOL!
The Technique of Underlining Garments