Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1281 (Misses Dress-Donna Karan)

Reviewed by:Carolyn.S

About Carolyn.Sstarstarstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 5/6/10
Posted on:5/12/12 3:55 AM
Last Updated:5/12/12 4:34 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
sarahandrew8 said... (9/4/14 8:38 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for your review, feeling challenged sewing this pattern (and sewing for the first time in silk!) and your comments are very helpful. The hem at the top of the bodice - and I knew I have a short shoulder to bust measurement but the extra length in the shoulder sash felt like I must be doing something wrong until I read you had the same problem...thanks :)
Balesbydesign said... (8/24/12 8:13 AM) Reply
Just laid out the pattern last night, and this is very helpful. Thank you! I feel much better about starting in on it.
aaltje said... (7/30/12 9:52 AM) Reply
Really beautiful. I love the colour blocking, and the pattern looks very flattering indeed. I added it to my wish list right away (after staring at it for a year without any inspiration at all)...
oh2bejoy said... (5/18/12 1:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I am a new sewer and am hoping to make this in a long version for my mother of the bride dress this October.
yummymummy38 said... (5/14/12 9:10 AM) Reply
I never envisaged this as anything but a cocktail dress, but I absolutely love this version, arty and more wearable than the DK envelope version, actually I prefer it to the envelope version!
Fran G said... (5/13/12 8:43 AM) Reply
So wonderful, Carolyn! I enjoy reading your blog and about how you interpret patterns. You define a creative seamstress.
VivianZ said... (5/13/12 8:16 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. So much more than the pattern.
Annette1 said... (5/13/12 0:44 AM) Reply
I really LOVE your dress, and you wear it well! I like your DOG, too -- ha!
lorenakitty said... (5/12/12 6:34 PM) Reply
What a winner! I purchased this pattern thinking the photo was a little formal but thought after looking at the line drawing the pattern could be fun for mixing up fabrics somehow. Your version is quite inspirational!
SewWil said... (5/12/12 12:49 PM) Reply
Wow! Spectacular dress.
Twinset said... (5/12/12 12:47 PM) Reply
Great dress, much better than the one on the pattern enveloppe! Very flattering on you.
Ann Smith said... (5/12/12 12:20 PM) Reply
Brilliant!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (5/12/12 11:11 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress, now I DEFINITELY want to make it ASAP! Thanks for review!
Elemenopeo said... (5/12/12 10:15 AM) Reply
It's so wonderful - you are indeed very clever.
fauxgetaboutit said... (5/12/12 9:51 AM) Reply
You've inspired me! Creative use of old t's Practical use of an awesome pattern that I would have normally overlooked Wearable daily dress that is cute, comfortable and unusual without looking like an old house dress
marjoriekh said... (5/12/12 9:50 AM) Reply
This is really inspired - and inspirational. I bet Donna Karan would love what you did with this.
magpie57 said... (5/12/12 9:49 AM) Reply
Love the color blocking and how the sleeves look like you are wearing a separate shawl over your shoulders. Lovely, stylish dress.
MarshaG. said... (5/12/12 9:39 AM) Reply
I loved this pattern when I saw it in the catalog, but I knew it was too dressy for my lifestyle. YOU made it work and I think your pieced rendition is a wonderful improvement on the pattern........something more of us would wear. I've saved all of your snapshots for inspiration!
Sue Parrott said... (5/12/12 8:15 AM) Reply
I have this pattern and just haven't figured out what sort of fabric to use. I love the casual look of yours and think that is my plan! Thanks for sharing!
GoodbyeValntino said... (5/12/12 7:25 AM) Reply
Simply amazing!
wordchick said... (5/12/12 7:04 AM) Reply
Looks great...thanks for review!
velosewer said... (5/12/12 6:34 AM) Reply
This is such a wonderful piece of work.
LizJaneB said... (5/12/12 4:45 AM) Reply
So much better than the original it's scary! Brilliant!
QuiltSewSewSue said... (5/12/12 4:36 AM) Reply
Fabulous interpretation!
Clareew said... (5/12/12 4:34 AM) Reply
I love your dress, I think it is much better than the Vogue picture.
Dilliander said... (5/12/12 4:30 AM) Reply
Very clever! This has come together beautifully. What a lovely, interesting and unique dress.

Merchant & Mills Top 64