Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6643 (Misses Dresses)

Reviewed by:prostheticsgirl

Other Projects by prostheticsgirl using this Pattern

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

ak21 said... (12/28/12 8:38 AM) Reply
I too have been working with saries for years..the colours & patterns cannot be outdone. i feel like ive found my "soulmate of saris" :-). your dress is wicked!
KatC83 said... (7/19/12 7:27 AM) Reply
You've done an amazing job with the fit. I can't blame you for loving that fabric, it's just beautiful!
SavageCoco said... (7/18/12 11:48 PM) Reply
Oh Snap, this is the B.O.M.B!
norie creates said... (7/18/12 10:42 PM) Reply
Wow! This is beautiful! I see why you're obsessed. The fabric is gorgeous!
zoe said... (7/18/12 9:52 PM) Reply
I'm really looking forward to seeing the upcoming sari project you are preparing for. I'll be interested to see how you think that recipe works for you. I'm quite sure you'll really like what it does for making it easier to work with the silk.
grays08 said... (7/18/12 6:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for the detailed review with the tips. Your dress is beautiful as is the fabric - love them! I love this pattern and had not seen it before.
prostheticsgirl said... (7/18/12 4:33 PM) Reply
Haha, Zoe you absolutely have a partner in crime! As I type this, I'm soaking silks in gelatin right now in preparation for my next project. I'm so excited to try that as you recommended. Let's spread the word on saris!
zoe said... (7/18/12 2:21 PM) Reply
How nice to see these great detailed pictures of the fabric, and construction details. Your fabric is so exquisite! Yes; it is an obsession; once you start looking at, and buying vintage saris it's hard to stop. I just bought 2 more! Glad to see I have a partner in crime! :)
GoodbyeValntino said... (6/13/12 6:35 PM) Reply
Beautiful fabric and beautiful dress!
zoe said... (6/13/12 10:47 AM) Reply
Just gorgeous! Absolutely love your sari fabric. I'm also using another silk vintage sari for my current project. I also keep being drawn to those prints in spite of the slippery, difficult silks. I have 9 more silk saris!
Joanna in Western Australia said... (6/12/12 11:36 PM) Reply
Gorgeous fabric! I agree with Fictionfan regarding your shape. How we all keep learning new things about ourselves through sewing!
Fictionfan said... (6/12/12 10:39 PM) Reply
Triangle! Very helpful to know when choosing styles that will flatter you best. Many gymnasts are triangles, so wider shoulders must provide an advantage in upper body strength. You might want to look up broad shoulder adjustment. DD is tall, thin, and has broad shoulders, so I've learned to do this. It's easy and can make such a difference in how comfortably the sleeves and bodice fit! You won't have to stick to sleeveless garments for your best fitting clothes. :-)
prostheticsgirl said... (6/12/12 7:59 PM) Reply
I didn't realize there were so many different shapes now! I'm definitely broader through the shoulders/ribs than the hips. I do have a defined waist, but I would say it's proportional to my hips versus my freakishly large ribcage. Typically I cut a straight 10 and then alter the waist and hips down 1-2 sizes depending on the design and if I want a fitted garment. This one I cut a straight 10 with no alterations. Basically even though I'm only a 2 in RTW, if you put me in a strapless gown, I look like a linebacker!
Fictionfan said... (6/12/12 4:11 PM) Reply
Very pretty! This border print is gorgeous fabric, so of course you are obsessed. If the photo is of you wearing the dress, never say you are apple shaped! Apples are bigger in the waist in proportion to narrower shoulders and hips. That is, shaped like an apple, near spherical. You appear to have a defined waist so it's unlikely that you are a rectangle. You are clearly not pear-shaped, so you must be a triangle or an hourglass. You look like the X version (as opposed to 8 version) hourglass in this dress, though the skirt could be hiding a triangle (wider at shoulders, narrower at hips). You are right, this pattern seems to flatter most everyone. Thanks for your review.

Ottobre Woman Magazine 02-2013-12