Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1187 (Koos van den Akker dress)

Reviewed by:Monabel

Vogue Patterns Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Cotton- Lawn  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Pullover, loose-fitting dress has bias bound neck edge extending into ties, bias bound sleeves, welt pockets, contrasting fabrics and faced, shaped hem.

Pattern Sizing: EE(14-16-18-20) I made 14. Now I know that one or even two sizes down might have been advisable.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? No, because of the changes I made. The best part, the sleeve, did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, if you are used to Vogue patterns.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I bought it for that original, spiral, pieced sleeve; and that worked. I was not sure about the droopy shapeless body of the dress. In addition, I was not convinced that all those different fabrics were really necessary.

Fabric Used:Hand printed cotton lawns bought directly from an Indian vendor on Ebay-Heritage Trading.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: The most dramatic change was cutting off the whole skirt except for about an inch and a half to bind the bottom edge of the top. This changed it from a sad, baggy dress to a fabulous, loose, floaty eccentric overblouse. I was going to omit the pockets anyway, and I used only two contrast fabrics instead of four.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I plan to try to use that marvelous interesting sleeve with a simpler dress or blouse. I will have to find a raglan sleeved pattern to start with.
As far as the original version of the dress, I suppose it could look good on a very tall, very striking woman. Note that the extra fullness round the middle flares out to the sides (=hips) because of the grain. I don't think many women will find it becoming. But, how often do we see a really striking sleeve?

Conclusion: Glad I did this, learned a lot, ended up with strange and poetic top.
ETA: I gave this to a friend who sent me pictures. Although a bit fuzzy, they give some idea of how this looks in soft lawn.

Donna 92886 said...
I have had this pattern for a while, and after seeing your top, now I want to try making one for myself. Great job.
7/8/14 2:29 PM
Texahoma said...
Wow, I love this, very creative!
7/8/14 3:28 PM