Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2401 (1952 Design/Vintage Vogue)

Reviewed by:beezy

Posted on:12/21/04 2:12 PM
Last Updated:8/24/07 11:25 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
Gordita1616 said... (6/17/09 12:44 PM) Reply
Thank you for sharing your work. The dress is amazing. I mentioned it on my blog at ikrod.blogspot.com. I'm considering making this dress and your version just may be the deciding factor for me to go for it. Thanks again.
Lana E said... (12/21/08 8:24 PM) Reply
OMG that is gorgeous! I was tempted to buy this pattern but opted for a different retro pattern, now I'm kicking my own teeth after seeing the result of you and the other reviewers. That dress is stunning, and I'm sure you would look fabulous in it.
Anabolina said... (8/27/07 1:08 AM) Reply
Wow, it looks fab. I'd wondered about this pattern, but you've inspired me to go pick it up in the next good sale.
N_Vogue said... (8/27/07 0:03 AM) Reply
Simply gorgeous! I too purchased this pattern and now I am so going to make it. Question? Would you suggest a fabric ? I love this dress. Thanks for posting.
ELizabeth_Atl said... (8/25/07 10:17 PM) Reply
Gorgeous. Thank you for the review.
Mahogany Stylist said... (8/25/07 2:47 PM) Reply
Your dress is absolutely beautiful.
leanmeansewingmachine said... (8/25/07 7:17 AM) Reply
The dress is beautiful. The extra time and effort with the velvet was worth it. It's a stunning garment. I just made one with a similar collart that includes a side zipper - it's easy enough to get on, but my husband has to help me get it off!
mad4sewing said... (8/25/07 0:35 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for your review. I have this pattern and wanted to make it, but when I looked at the pattern I could not figure out how to put the finished dress on. Thanks to you, I now realize that I may not be able to wear this dress since I have to pull it on. I am way to large busted and I don't think I could get it over my chest in the tighter areas unless I make it from a fabric with some stretch. Thanks so much for this very, very helpful review!!
Nancywin said... (8/25/07 0:01 AM) Reply
This is such a beautiful dress! Did you know you are not showing up in the design gallery?
sewbehind said... (8/24/07 11:48 PM) Reply
That is just beautiful. Stunning!
Snow White said... (9/17/06 6:39 PM) Reply
beautiful
mompea said... (4/20/06 4:19 PM) Reply
An absolutely beautiful dress! Well done!
sewistObsessed said... (3/9/05 10:42 PM) Reply
Ditto -- absolutely stunning
els said... (12/30/04 5:20 PM) Reply
STUNNING, GORGEOUS DRESS.
candyo said... (12/30/04 4:31 PM) Reply
Wow!
Modiste Madness said... (12/24/04 9:14 PM) Reply
I have to keep coming back and to look at your wonderful creation. It is stunning and the setting for the picture makes it a joy to looks at also.
GorgeousFabrics said... (12/23/04 8:47 PM) Reply
If you get a chance, check out the January issue of Vogue. They have a portrait of Laura Bush in a dress by Oscar de la Renta that looks very much like this! -Ann
Princepessa said... (12/23/04 8:43 PM) Reply
I have to reiterate all that has been said above, that is an amazing dress you have made. I'm sure that you look stunning in it. I wish that I could sew half as well as you do.
SewVeryTall said... (12/23/04 7:48 AM) Reply
I love it...red, my fav, oolala...this would look sooooo good on me, lol. Thanks for the great review.
Danvillegirl said... (12/23/04 5:43 AM) Reply
Lovely! Love Vintage Look.
shard said... (12/22/04 9:32 PM) Reply
AMAZING!
Sew4Fun said... (12/22/04 8:30 PM) Reply
Absoultely stunning!! What a wonderful Christmas dress.
Sew4Fun said... (12/22/04 8:30 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning!! What a wonderful Christmas dress.
Jill Giard said... (12/22/04 6:11 PM) Reply
Ooh! So pretty! What a great job and too perfect for Christmas.
Nancy Anne said... (12/22/04 5:18 PM) Reply
I can't believe you actually managed to do this in velvet! Wow! You are brave, and very adept. What amazes me the most is that even though it is a pattern that should not be well suited for thicker fabric, it still has that fitted, glamorous, 40's look. This is a tribute to your sewing skills. Incredible!
Modiste Madness said... (12/22/04 3:16 PM) Reply
The perfect Christmas dress paired with a beautiful Christmas tree! Fabulous construction technique.
meli88a said... (12/22/04 10:44 AM) Reply
gorgeous! beautiful! Everytime I see this dress reviewed, I (a) with that I had an excuse for making this dress too (b) am envious at how beautifully it turns out, and wish my sewing skills were as good as the reviewer's. Very good job, and you will look fabulous in it!
McKavity said... (12/22/04 9:53 AM) Reply
Gorgeous!
cindyann said... (12/22/04 8:54 AM) Reply
It's just amazing. Beautiful!
layla said... (12/22/04 7:55 AM) Reply
Absolutely Stunning !! The kind of results that makes us want to sew in the first place.
Ginger said... (12/22/04 6:15 AM) Reply
That is one beautiful dress! I have loved that type of collar since I saw it on some dress Lucille Ball wore on I Love Lucy. I wonder how easy it would be to redraft some pattern collars for this one?!?
Gloria Allender said... (12/22/04 6:12 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress!
AnneM said... (12/22/04 4:15 AM) Reply
You definitely have your red dress for Christmas. Very nice.
Annika said... (12/21/04 9:58 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review - I started to make this dress a while back in a stiff, greyish-teal dupioni silk - did a muslin for the bodice first and realized that it was about 3 inches too short for my torso - so I am glad to hear that you too had difficulty fitting the bodice. BTW - your velvet dress is toooo gorgeous for words!
drsue said... (12/21/04 9:54 PM) Reply
They really knew how to design a great dress in the 50's! Yours is fantastic.
mudcat said... (12/21/04 9:21 PM) Reply
WOW! Your dress is lovely.
Pattern Junkie said... (12/21/04 9:13 PM) Reply
Breathtaking! You did a fabulous job with this!
CarolynGM said... (12/21/04 7:56 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous concoction. This dress is so lovely in velvet that surely it was worth the extra effort. All eyes will be on you when you wear this on Christmas.
PVA said... (12/21/04 7:45 PM) Reply
Oh, good grief! You have taken me back 50+ years! Now, that was a time when we purchased or made & wore beautiful clothes! Especially dresses! Oh, I remember a red dress I made for the holiday season in 1957! Thank you so much for taking me back, but I'm Waaay of topic! Your dress is just sublime! Your skills are awesome, & I do thank you for this review! (And, all the happy memories it brought back!)
Melody said... (12/21/04 6:47 PM) Reply
That is a stunning dress. Thank you so much for the review. I really need to make this. Maybe it will be my spring reward.
CatherineN said... (12/21/04 6:34 PM) Reply
I remember my mom making and wearing dresses like this. You will be festive and beautiful in it.
PegL said... (12/21/04 6:10 PM) Reply
Incredibly beautiful dress! Wow!
Karen Bowers said... (12/21/04 5:47 PM) Reply
wowee!!! what a craftswoman you are!
Hilary said... (12/21/04 4:29 PM) Reply
WOW!!!! Gorgeous, just beautiful- the red velvet is *stunning*. I wish I had an excuse to wear this dress-thanks for sharing!
Leslie in Austin said... (12/21/04 4:06 PM) Reply
What an exquisite, amazing dress, perfect for Christmas. You can't even begin to imagine my envy....
sewywabbit said... (12/21/04 3:55 PM) Reply
THIS is gorgeous!! What a great dress for the holidays. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Skymom said... (12/21/04 3:50 PM) Reply
Wow, I love it, and I love your Christmas tree, too. I really need to make this dress....I wonder where I stashed that pattern...
Marita Kinnula said... (12/21/04 2:39 PM) Reply
I love it !!!!!!!!! the color is delicious, the fabric is divine and you are not a beginner.
jlg said... (12/21/04 2:36 PM) Reply
Beautiful. When this dress is reviewed, it looks so much better than I would imagine based on the envelope illustration, and I like the pattern illustration.
Debbie Cook said... (12/21/04 2:29 PM) Reply
What an incredible dress!! You are going to be absolutely stunning!
GorgeousFabrics said... (12/21/04 2:29 PM) Reply
OMG, that dress is fabulous! I clicked on the picture and my jaw dropped. Great job and excellent review! -Ann
Mary Stiefer said... (12/21/04 2:27 PM) Reply
What a blast from the past. This looks fantastic and I love the red. Great job.

BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King