Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5603 (misses dressRetro '56)

Reviewed by:thesewinglab

About thesewinglabstar
AZ USA
Member since: 6/8/12
Posted on:6/11/12 5:45 PM
Last Updated:6/11/12 6:13 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

sewmaris said... (6/12/12 11:18 AM) Reply
Pretty dress - love this pattern. I would replace the zipper with an invisible zip - I think they usually look more "RTW". Agree with Joanna's comments about the back "V" - also you might try directional stitching - rather than attempting to pivot at the bottom of the V, reduce your stitch length to 1 as you approach the "dot" and stop right on the dot. Then take the top off the machine, turn it over and stitch down the other side toward the dot in the same way - stopping right where the other stitching stopped. Also clip into the seam allowance right up to (but not thru) the stitching, and trim excess SA away. It will help reduce bulk so the turn looks better. Good luck! Sew Maris
NJcowgirl said... (6/12/12 10:41 AM) Reply
thank you, Joanna, for giving her helpful advice. The dress is lovely. I know how frustrating it is to be looking for advice/instruction and not finding any so I'm glad Joanna was able to help. I agree with her suggestions.
cobble said... (6/12/12 6:22 AM) Reply
Very nice & It looks great on you!
Joanna in Western Australia said... (6/12/12 3:44 AM) Reply
I am just about to make this dress, View B. The problem with the v-neck at the back may be due to your stretchy fabric. Did you interface it - this would keep it more stable. Also did you baste the edge when you turned in the seam allowance in Step 11? I would then baste it to the actual dress before you stitch it to the dress and I would also do the understitching at the neckline to keep it all stable. A walking foot on your machine would help if you have one. Regarding the zip - either remove it entirely and put it in again and place the stopper lower down and lower the stitching on the armpit area. Or undo the stitching on the zip and fold over the top and resew and then lower the armhole stitching on the bodice. I hope this helps and isn't too confusng! I am off to make my version as the skirt looks really nice.
BrendaJoyce said... (6/11/12 8:24 PM) Reply
I love the retro look and will have to buy this pattern. I wish more women dressed this way. I think you did a great job.
aquamarineerica said... (6/11/12 8:21 PM) Reply
I like it! I think you did a great job! Love the way it looks.

SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern