Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2565 (Women's tops)

Reviewed by:dakotasews

Jalie: 2565 by dakotasews
Pattern Photo:Jalie 2565
Jalie Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Nylon-Lycra  [See other projects in this fabric]
I'm just updating this review with a new swimsuit and entering the fabric stash contest, I'll answer these right away.

1. How long has your fabric been in your stash? Fish print - 1 year - solids, probably much longer.
2. How large is your complete fabric stash (just because we want to know!) Piles, upon piles, upon piles. Beyond counting.
3. Why did you make this item? Just for stash busting or was it in your queue anyways? My daughter needed a new swimsuit. One of the camps she attends each summer only allows one piece swimsuits. Last year, I attached the top to Jalie 3247 and it really worked well for her. This year, I tried to make the swimsuit a little more interesting visually. Right now, she has room to grow lengthwise, but given that her foot has grown a full size in the last three months, I'm guessing she'll grow into the swimsuit soon.

Pattern Description: This pattern includes a racerback tank (reviewed top), tube top with built-in bra, and a lined bandeau.

Pattern Sizing: Pattern includes sizes from a toddler 2 to a womens 22 and everything in between. 2015 -The blue fish print is size Y for my daughter who usually wears a women's medium (8-10). 2011 - I made a size S for my daughter who usually wears a child's 14/16 RTW or 12 plus.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Aside from using nylon lycra for swimwear and attaching shorts, yes it does.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The illustrations and directions are excellent. Jalie directions can be printed out from the website so you don't need to wrestle with a large sheet of paper Click Here for Printable Directions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the fit and the range of sizes. The fit is very feminine and flattering, yet not revealing.

Fabric Used: The blue fish print is from Girl Charlee purchased last summer. The red and blue solids were in my stash and mostly likely from Mill End Textiles. 2011 - I used a nylon lycra swimwear fabric purchased from Mill End Textiles. It is a nice medium weight swimwear fabric. I used solid blue nylon lycra for finishing the arms and neckline.

2015 I attached the top to Jalie 3247 shorts. I also shortened the shirt about an inch. I could have shortened the shirt a bit more, but I'm leaving it guessing that she's going to grow this summer.

2011 - Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I was really stumped at how to make a swimsuit that would fit my daughter well. Her current plus sized swimsuit bottoms fall off and she needed something to go to camp with. One of her favorite shirts is a RTW similar to this pattern so that gave me the idea of using this pattern for swimwear. I went according to her chest measurement and made her a size S with a full tummy adjustment Click Here for pic . Basically, I just keep the neckline in tact, but angle the suit out on the fold (up to .5 inch at the fold). I had made one muslin, and that showed I needed a little adjustment although I think I could have got by with just a .25 inch adjustment. I do usually end up cutting about 1 inch longer for finishing the arms and necklines. This will vary with the fabric chosen, but I think it is easier to cut more to begin with and trim as needed.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I have sewed this a many times, and I do highly recommend the pattern. This is the fourth swimsuit or swim top from this pattern. The other times I've used a poly cotton performance fabric and a cotton lycra.

Conclusion: This is a great wardrobe stable. When I purchased the pattern, I had no idea I would ever use it for swimwear, but I think it work well, especially for the in and out on the beach. 2011 - The bottoms in the swim suit are from Jalie 3247 with the leg shortened 1 inch and 1 inch added to waist part. I also gathered the sides for more interest. The blue skirtini in the picture is from Jalie 3023 which is one of my favorite swimsuit patterns ever Click Here for Jalie 3023 Review.
Click Here for link to 2015 Swimsuit

Click Here for 2011 Swimsuit

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

hylee said... (6/15/15 7:35 PM) Reply
Fish print is really cute!
chimommy68 said... (6/15/15 8:34 AM) Reply
Adorable : )
canei said... (6/15/15 8:14 AM) Reply
treefrog said... (6/15/15 3:01 AM) Reply
Nice swimmers - I love the contrast binding with the racer back
sewing for fun said... (6/26/12 8:21 PM) Reply
Looks great - what a wonderful print with this pattern and this girl!
KensingtonCrab said... (6/26/12 10:44 AM) Reply