Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4521 (Designer Sewing Accessories)

Reviewed by:jacalhoun

About jacalhounstarstar
Member since: 9/6/04
Posted on:12/30/04 1:50 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
HeyJane said... (8/9/07 6:35 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for the warning about vinyl ! I made one just cotton. I think the mesh or netting fabric idea was a great one. I will try that next time. Not enough bravery to attempt vinyl. I'm having enough trouble right now with sequins - same thing they gum up the needle.
hat-and-bag-lady said... (3/7/07 7:30 PM) Reply
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that admits (0ccassionally) to being too lazy to do something. I like the look of these things, so I bought the pattern. I am interested in making the sewing machine cover. (Because, sometimes, it is a long time inbetween sewing sessions: the poor machine gets this ... gasp ... dust on it.)
jacalhoun said... (1/1/05 9:51 AM) Reply
Well, I "just happened" to be at Joann's yesterday (heaven help me) and I spotted both a teflon and roller foot, and they were $7 combined, so I got one of each! That way if one doesn't work so well, I'll already have the other one. But, I won't be making more of these until March, because today starts the new patterns only contest. :-D Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try to remember to let you know how it works next time.
AnneM said... (12/31/04 12:17 PM) Reply
That came out very nicely. Congratulations! I wonder if Solvy or something like that would prevent it sticking? (I need to pick up a teflon or roller foot.)
Tinka said... (12/31/04 8:49 AM) Reply
It has been many years since I sewed with vinyl, but it seems to me that I put tissue paper between the presser foot and the vinyl. And I do remember using very heavy duty iron on interfacing to give my project body - it was a hair accessories holder for my daughter, one of the free project sheets that Sew News used to have that you could send in for. I will see if I still have it kicking around somewhere, because I am sure I didn't come up with idea myself, so it must have been on the project sheet. Thank you for your review - organizing ideas are greatly welcomed!
jacalhoun said... (12/31/04 8:00 AM) Reply
knitter, definitely make sure you use either a teflon foot or a roller foot, because otherwise, it's not worth the hassle!
LiZ said... (12/31/04 1:59 AM) Reply
Your wall organiser looks great. I am sure that you will get a lot of use from it. I just purchased this pattern today as Spotlight in Australia have all patterns half price. I thought that I would make one for my DD for next Christmas.
jacalhoun said... (12/30/04 8:12 PM) Reply
Thanks for the suggestions when sewing vinyl. I looked back at a previous review of this (after I sewed mine, not before, of course!) and she had the same problem. I think I'll get a roller foot, if I can find one for my Singer, that is.
Lunar_C said... (12/30/04 6:12 PM) Reply
Fantastic. Just like a bought one only better.!! Maybe a water soluble or tear away stabiliser could be used in thin strips where stitching is on top of the vinyl.
Susan Dryer said... (12/30/04 4:40 PM) Reply
Teflon foot or roller foot, either one will make sewing on vinyl much less frustrating. I have used each at one time or other; both work well.
kirianth said... (12/30/04 2:31 PM) Reply
I hear a teflon foot (or maybe a regular foot wrapped with a layer of teflon tape) works better with vinyl. I haven't actually tried it before though.
Kristi_Dugan said... (12/30/04 2:14 PM) Reply
Very nice. Maybe a like-colored mesh would sew easier and still be see-through? Looks like a very useful pattern. Thanks for the review.

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2007-105

by: yummymummy...

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2010-119

by: Elizabeth ...

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)