Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6078 (Misses' Tops)

Reviewed by:Cosmotis

About Cosmotisstar
NY USA
Member since: 8/25/10

Best Patterns of 2011
Posted on:7/8/12 12:12 PM

Cosmotis said... (7/29/12 9:39 AM) Reply
Hi azjune: Yes, I believe I cut the bands 1:1 to the armscye. I didn't want them snugged in at all, since I had already enlarged them on the pattern. I walked my tape measure around and added a seam allowance. I cut them 1" wide so they ended up being 1/2" wide after folding in half, and showing about 1/4" after attached. I know I tried a couple of options before settling on this one, so I'm struggling to remember exactly, but I think I basted them on first and then serged them on and then top-stitched them, one row on either side of the seam line. Does this make sense? This has turned out to be one of my favorite tops this summer and I'm getting a lot of wear out of it! And your question serves as a good reminder to me to make a note of how I did something if it ends up being different than the pattern!
azjune said... (7/28/12 10:49 PM) Reply
I just finished one of these and am just starting another. I see that you cut crosswise self bands for the armscyes instead of the dreaded "fold under and stitch". Do you cut these bands at 1:1 length or do you make them a tiny bit shorter than the edge they are to be stitched to? Also, how wide do you cut them? I love your fabric choice. I just serged the edge before folding it over and top stitching, but want a more finished look.
KarlaB said... (7/13/12 9:01 AM) Reply
Really nice top! Great job on the fit!
AndreaSews said... (7/8/12 10:12 PM) Reply
Really cute top!
hme75 said... (7/8/12 3:22 PM) Reply
This top is great! And your review is so timely because I have a staycation coming up when I'll be between jobs, and I too plan to stash bust. This pattern was on my list!
Elemenopeo said... (7/8/12 3:20 PM) Reply
Fun idea to stashbust - great top.

Understanding Knit Fabrics