Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2759 (Anne Klein)

Reviewed by:Kay Y

About Kay Ystarstarstarstar
ON CANADA
Member since: 11/21/04
Posted on:1/1/05 2:05 PM
Last Updated:2/5/05 5:04 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 31 people
dorothyn said... (3/20/10 6:59 PM) Reply
I'm thinking of making this one after all these years (made two of the tops years ago). Despite your troubles with the sleeves, it looks absolutely fantastic in the photo. Do you still wear it?
lorrwill said... (3/15/10 0:56 AM) Reply
oh my gosh what an excellent review. I am no advanced seamstress so I would not have known what was wrong had I attempted this pattern. Thanks very much for the details.
sewrose said... (10/27/06 11:24 PM) Reply
Very informative review. Thanks so much! Don't you wonder what Vogue is thinking when they put out products like this? I do.
moushka said... (2/17/05 7:15 AM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful tailoring. I doubt you'd find a better looking jacket anywhere in Canada! Thanks for your thoughtful review. I don't know what's happening at Vogue since they were bought by McCall's but it ain't pretty. I emailed them six months ago about my disappointments with the newer Vogue patterns; they didn't bother to reply to me, either.
Jennie Pakula said... (2/14/05 12:02 PM) Reply
Despite your troubles with it, that is an absolutely magnificent jacket, with every detail perfect. It looks completely professional. Thank you also for a thorough & helpful review.
carnelian said... (2/6/05 5:54 PM) Reply
...and the lining was pure jazz!
sewsue said... (2/6/05 3:04 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks fantastic, and thanks for a detailed and informative review.
valerie sews said... (2/6/05 0:15 AM) Reply
What a wonderfully tailored jacket, and an excellent & informative review. It does seem to me that Vogue do not give as much effort to fine tuning their patterns & instructions as they used to, which is a shame. Nevertheless I love the lines of this jacket and it is going on my wish list.
layla said... (2/5/05 9:42 PM) Reply
Would never guess you had a problem with this pattern.... you certainly managed to make it work...looks beautiful !!
jlg said... (2/5/05 5:46 PM) Reply
Somehow, I missed this review. Your jacket is fabulous. Beautifully done depite all of the trouble.
PatPrende said... (1/9/05 6:53 PM) Reply
I really appreciate your comments on this pattern as I have it in my "inventory". Thanks to you, I will approach this pattern with special attention to the sleeves --- if I use it at all. You have saved me much "grief" by sharing your experience! :-)
Dobedowawa said... (1/6/05 11:37 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for the review, I have the pattern, and wanted to invest in the next size envelope (I cut across 3 sizes ...), but based on this review I shall not go there. The top has been reviewed, and as far as I remember was satisfactory. I shall stick to that. What a pity, though, the jacket has beautiful lines, and your skills have done it justice .. but too complicated for me to try!
layla said... (1/5/05 10:17 PM) Reply
Kay...thanks so much for the review of this pattern which I just recently bought. Yours came out beautiful !! I love Vogue mostly because I have had luck with the fit, but I'm a little concerned about the sleeves on this one. What size Jacket did you make ? Just curious. Anyway it's beautiful. Looks better than anything I've seen in the stores lately !!
Hope K said... (1/5/05 1:24 PM) Reply
Thanks for the warning! I made the shirt but I'll steer clear of the jacket because I know I don't have the skills to pull it off.
SouthernStitch said... (1/3/05 10:06 PM) Reply
Late welcome to PR, and I second all the comments. Really lovely sewing skills! Thanks for the informative reivew!
Reighley said... (1/3/05 9:11 AM) Reply
Ditto on all the compliments above. I also noticed how beautifully pressed your jacket appeared, another set of skills you obviously have.
AnneM said... (1/2/05 7:54 PM) Reply
I so agree with you on the fake pockets - RTW manufacturers do that to cut costs, but if you are making it you don't want to have to draft your own pattern pieces! Your jacket is beautiful. I just love the neckline. I wish the pattern was better.
Lilibet said... (1/2/05 3:28 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks superb. I admire your skill and look forward to your future reviews.
Nancy Anne said... (1/2/05 11:55 AM) Reply
Lovely jacket! I'd love to have your knowlege of the tailoring techniques you used here. Especially how to make the lining to fit inside the garment, as I am about to make a lined jacket. I have always thought there had to be a way to alter lining to fit nicer under the garment. Having said all of that, I think your jacket is beautiful and looks very well tailored and fitted. One can tell you are adept at tailoring when viewing your finished product.
SewTwin said... (1/2/05 11:12 AM) Reply
GEEEEEEZ! What a JACKET! Armani or Calvin Klein should have you on their advisor list, especially Vogue! A very few PR's in my humble opinon qualify for double advanced rating. I wish all the PR pics were as detailed as yours, you don't have to imagine the rest.Was this pic shot site difficult to set up?Lov the jacket,sorry the pattern was a pain!
Gloria Allender said... (1/2/05 9:22 AM) Reply
Excellent review. Your jacket is lovely and does not reveal the struggles you endured. You did an excellent job!
Claudia Resch said... (1/2/05 9:07 AM) Reply
Beautiful tailoring job. Good for you for persevering.
Kathryn said... (1/2/05 7:04 AM) Reply
Even though this is your first review, Kay, I have added you to my list of "favorite reviewers". Your work is awesome. I'm now heading off to read your other reviews. Thank you so much for sharing.
Kathy Russell said... (1/1/05 11:57 PM) Reply
after so much struggle it came out beautiful. great jacket.
sailonsilvergirl said... (1/1/05 10:29 PM) Reply
Wow! Wonderful tailoring. That tie fabric lining is such an excellent match with the fabric.
PhyllisC said... (1/1/05 9:55 PM) Reply
Kay - even with all your struggles sleeve caps and the slope to the shoulders looks prefect. I'd love to hear more about the internal structure - did you use hair canvas and pad stiching?
PhyllisC said... (1/1/05 9:53 PM) Reply
Kay - even with all your struggles the sleeve caps and the slope to the shoulders looks perfect. I'd love to hear more about the internal structure - did you use hair canvas and pad stiching?
Celeste said... (1/1/05 8:07 PM) Reply
Absolutely first-rate looking!
candyo said... (1/1/05 7:02 PM) Reply
Wow, am I glad you found PR!!! I really enjoyed reading about your sewing challenges, and empathize with your frustrations. I can't wait for your next review!!
Tiner W said... (1/1/05 6:52 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! That's what I aspire to!
KarmenG said... (1/1/05 6:45 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for all your wonderful information. I have that pattern and plan to make it - it's so helpful to hear your experience, althouth it sound disappointing for you. I'll have to think twice about this before I give it a try. BTW your jacket looks fabulous, you should be proud.
Sue Anfang said... (1/1/05 6:16 PM) Reply
Kay you made a beautiful jacket! I work at Fabricland in Toronto -- some of the menswear ends we got last fall were rumoured to have come from Armani (of course a few pieces ended up in my stash!!) Sue
KathleenS said... (1/1/05 6:07 PM) Reply
Welcome to PR, and thanks for the very informative review. Your hard work paid off - your jacket looks fantastic.
Levone said... (1/1/05 6:03 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket, very professional. Also, excellent review.
Jennifer shaw said... (1/1/05 5:07 PM) Reply
Your jacket is so stunning!! Wow!! Thank you for the excellent review. I was looking at this pattern and wondering if it was a worthwile investment to make the jacket.
ClaireC said... (1/1/05 4:32 PM) Reply
Thank you for the detailed review. The jacket is beautiful and professional. I'd love to know what goes on behind the scenes at pattern companies. Don't they realize something is badly drafted? Or do they not want to spend the $$ to correct the error?
petra said... (1/1/05 4:29 PM) Reply
This looks like Saville Row tailoring... you would never know that you had struggled with the pattern. I don;t think that I will be buying it after this though..not sure that my pattern adjusting skills are up to it! Love the lining, great idea to use necktie fabric (where do you buy that??)
Mandolin82 said... (1/1/05 4:20 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket, great review. Thanks for the recommendation for the Singer book as reference.
Georgene said... (1/1/05 3:46 PM) Reply
Thank you for the excellent review. Just serves to remind us that often its the pattern, and not our bodies which are at fault! I love the comment about the posing of the model on the pattern envelope.
CarolynGM said... (1/1/05 3:39 PM) Reply
Your jacket is just beautiful! The tailoring looks impeccable. Thanks for the warning about the pattern -- I have it and will think twice before using it.
Elona said... (1/1/05 3:07 PM) Reply
The finished jacket is really beautiful. You did a marvelous job saving it. This jacket style reminds me a LOT of Loes Hinse's "Bistro" jacket, and might give much the same effect with less frustration than the Vogue model.
Eli said... (1/1/05 3:00 PM) Reply
It looks perfect to me, I would have never told you had problem with some parts!
els said... (1/1/05 2:58 PM) Reply
Great tailored jacket.
PegL said... (1/1/05 2:50 PM) Reply
Beautifully detailed jacket. Very informative review too.
Lisa Laree said... (1/1/05 2:42 PM) Reply
Wow, thanks so much for this info! This pattern is one that I have and even have fabric designated for...now I know I need to pay some attention to the sleeves before I cut my precious Armani wool. I love the way this finished jacket looks; so refined and elegant that I think I'll go ahead and tackle it...but your cautions will help me out a lot! (I intended to omit the fake chest pocket ;) )
Jan B. said... (1/1/05 2:33 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks wonderful!! It's so professional. One would never know that your struggled with it. I looked at your other coat in your albumn too. It's totally professional also. I look forward to further reviews from you.
GorgeousFabrics said... (1/1/05 2:26 PM) Reply
Excellent review, thank you! I have made the pants from this pattern, and liked them well enough. I didn't bother with the jacket because I just don't wear that type of jacket anymore. After your review, I'm glad I didn't bother with it. -Ann

by: FreyaStark

by: sew silly

Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern