Pattern Reviews> Folkwear> 219 (Intimacies)

Reviewed by:Miss Fairchild

About Miss Fairchildstarstarstarstar

Posted on:7/19/12 10:44 AM
Last Updated:7/20/12 8:44 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 12 people

NJcowgirl said... (12/29/13 11:20 AM) Reply
Thank you for this review. It will be very helpful as I tackle this pattern. Your comments about it are appreciated.
ChristmasHills said... (12/23/12 1:00 AM) Reply
Your versions are so pretty and delicate looking. Thanks for pointing out the problems with bias cut - I have been caught out before with the stretching which seems to happen no matter how careful I think I am being. I am going to try one of these because I am forewarned by you and your examples are too gorgeous by half.
Miss Fairchild said... (7/20/12 9:26 PM) Reply
Brilliant idea, Wendy with cutting the extra pieces. I traced mine off, the inset and the facing, but it would have been nicer to cut just once instead of four times. I reversed the pieces as I would have had to do if I flipped them and made a note of it on the piece. As to the stabilizing tape, I've never used it and I would think there would be "show through", but I don't know. Staystitching would be easier, I think, because you have your machine there and you don't have to get up and hunt for something.
wendyrb said... (7/20/12 4:51 PM) Reply
Thanks for the thoughtful, thorough and kind review. It's helpful for beginners, or anyone, to know what's in store when they tackle a new pattern. Your work is beautiful! I want 1 of those slips! I have a suggestion for the pattern flipping. I would make the multiple pattern pieces. I make a rough cut of the original pattern leaving extra paper around. I lay up the # of additional paper layers needed. Then I staple through all layers in the outside margin, not on the interior portion of the pattern. Cut out the duplicate pieces and laying out to cut is so much easier. It may seem like more work, but believe me, seeing the layout all together is really efficient. I use the alpha numerical white paper. For the stretchy edge joins, what do you think about using one of the delicate stabilizing tapes from Emma Seabroke?
Miss Fairchild said... (7/20/12 8:29 AM) Reply
Thank you for your comments, fuzzygalore. I'd like to explain that I rated this pattern as difficult and not for beginners especially because of the bias cuts of fabric and the fact that you have to flip pieces over; one in particular three times. Yes, it could be done in voile (thank you for the recommendation) but sewing the inserts requires you to sew them in an unconventional way--pressing under one edge and then attaching it to the main piece by topstitching. The fluidity of the bias cut on the inserts as well as the bias cut on the main piece creates slipperyness even more than that found in fabric. If you'll reread the review, I chose two fabrics--a georgette and a chiffon. The georgette is much "beefier" and was easier to manage than the chiffon. However, it didn't get entirely away from the slipperyness due to the bias cuts. And yes, about the hem. I'm a stickler for accuracy when it comes to a beginner using a pattern; I've spent too many years teaching and having a concern for my students' well being. Those of us who have been sewing a while, as I am sure you are a part, know what to do with a hem. But a beginner would be dumbfounded especially if they didn't have someone nearby, and I felt the pattern needed to give some examples--it's part of that training process. But I will modify the review to reflect these points, and I thank you for the opportunity to bring them up. :-)
Immelu said... (7/19/12 8:56 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! I have this pattern and I have some sumptuous charmeuese and must say...I've been waiting about 4 years to build up the sewing skills to try it. maybe soon. :) Your versions are fantastic!
BrendaJoyce said... (7/19/12 5:34 PM) Reply
Thanks for the accurate rating, it does sound like it would require some advanced knowledge. Your chosen fabric looks terrific in this pattern. Thanks for the detailed review.
marthamyers said... (7/19/12 2:06 PM) Reply
Oh, so pretty. I don't have this one from folkwear but maybe I need it. Thanks for posting the review and reminding me of this cool pattern.
Mufffet said... (7/19/12 12:28 PM) Reply
Thank you for a good review and a thoughtful one. :)
fuzzygalore said... (7/19/12 11:32 AM) Reply
No reason why a beginner couldn't do this in cotton voile, avoiding the slippery problems. And I sure hope you aren't rating the pattern difficult because you chose an inappropriately light fabric, or because they omitted to tell you how to do a hem :-)?

Japanese Pattern Books Drape Drape 2:Top #4