Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5203 (Cowl Top)

Reviewed by:Darla in PA

About Darla in PAstar
Member since: 4/10/02
Posted on:1/3/05 8:23 AM
Last Updated:1/3/05 8:28 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
Mini said... (2/27/05 10:45 AM) Reply
LOL I never even noticed the 5 thread instructions. I used a 3 thread seam for this pattern and it worked fine. About the hems: I followed the advice in one of my Stretch and Sew books. If the hem (or any other seam) on a knit garment doesn't have to stretch, you don't have to use a stretch stitch! For this top with its loose-fitting bottom hem, I used a straight stitch with no problems. For the wrist hem, which is a bit tight, I practiced on a swatch using the different decorative stitches on my machine until I found one that looked good and had the right stretch factor. If you have a multi-step AKA 3-step zigzag, give that a try too. It seems to work on everything.
Gloria Allender said... (1/4/05 6:11 AM) Reply
I've made several LH garments and my serger doesn't have a 5-thread option. Thanks for the side view. This was an "ah ha" moment about DD tops. I think the top looks like one of those "cozy, feel good, comfortable" tops you can wear anytime.
Irene said... (1/3/05 9:02 PM) Reply
All the LH patterns I've purchased say that they were designed to be sewn with a 5-thread serger, but this is not so. Loes wrote an article in Threads about sewing the Retro Jacket, and she clearly used a 5-thread serger only for the long seams. I used the Threads article, rather than the Retro directions, to sew the jacket. I asked Loes about this when I stopped at her store in December, and she said that she would consider changing the directions. This seems to be a standard blurb that hasn't been edited. I made the Sweater Set with a 5-thread stitch, and the armholes and necklines are so tight that they can't be worn. I now use 3-thread serging for armholes, necklines, and hems.
CarolynGM said... (1/3/05 5:49 PM) Reply
I made this top several times before I lost the pattern. It took some tweaking of the fit as you are finding out, but it was worth it. I think that Elona is on to something with going down a size and doing an FBA. All the same, your top looks good as it is. I'm not sure you would want fleece any more fitted.
Debbie Cook said... (1/3/05 1:21 PM) Reply
Darla, I like the top and the color. It is a loose fit on you, but not so loose as to look bad in any way. Good job!
Cadienne said... (1/3/05 12:18 PM) Reply
Have you tried Steam-A-Seam-2? It stretches with the knit and does not wash out. (Although you can yank the hem out if you pull hard enough.) I like this a lot if I don't want the sportier cover hem.
Elona said... (1/3/05 11:41 AM) Reply
It's a pretty top as is, but I agree with your feeling that it's a tad big. In one of her seminars, Loes said people always choose one size too large, and I bet you'd get good results going down a size, making a full bust adjustment, and a swayback adjustment, too (it looks as though you have some extra back length). When you get it fine tuned, you will loooove this top!

by: Mauude