Online Sewing Class: More Knits

Pattern Reviews> Park Bench patterns> 14 (AUDUBON PARK)

Reviewed by:Shona

Upcycle sewing patterns

patsijean said... (7/22/09 12:36 PM) Reply

patsijean said... (7/22/09 12:35 PM) Reply

patsijean said... (7/22/09 12:32 PM) Reply
One more thing. Wear this top with black pants rather than a matching skirt. Perhaps with the skirt there is too much volume.
patsijean said... (7/22/09 11:39 AM) Reply
As I do not have this pattern, I cannot help you, but I have had great results with Sentinel Peak Park and Woodstock. Here is the link to sizing information. http://www.parkbenchpatterns.com/sizeinfo.php The sizing is based on a size 14, 5'4" woman. One needs to always check flat pattern measurements, laying a simple pattern underneath in order to check. The pattern description says that Audubon Park has a large pleat in back so perhaps you can make the pleat as large as you need to make it. That may be why the pleat seems to small. It may be one of those sizing features she describes. I would prefer the neckline pleat to be a dart. As do you, I have issues with the "one size may fit all" concept. Perhaps the small, medium and large concept would be better so that fitting would be easier. Even a loose fitting garment should fit.
JoleneF said... (1/8/05 6:14 PM) Reply
I have considered this brand after seeing the designer at a Martha Pullen convention, but I just had a gut feeling after hearing her talk about the pattern sizing that I would struggle with them. You and all the others who have reviewed them have reaffirmed that for me. It looks nice and I am glad you were able to finish.
AnneM said... (1/8/05 9:59 AM) Reply
Great review. Wonderful fabric, which combined with your hard work makes a nice outfit. I've ruled out this particular pattern line for me based on previous reviews, and this just confirms that. Not right for me!
Mommo said... (1/8/05 9:49 AM) Reply
Thank you for your review--I really appreciate knowing "What not to try".
BillieJean said... (1/8/05 6:38 AM) Reply
This review kinda tells me what I need to know about Park Bench patterns.
JDpenelope said... (1/7/05 10:33 PM) Reply
Thanks for the Heads Up, in case I were ever to consider this brand. Now I know better.
Georgene said... (1/7/05 8:55 PM) Reply
All your difficulties add up to a 'why bother?' for me. Every review of this line I have read mentions the difficulties and frustrations. Your stick-to-it attitude deserves several gold stars. Its a shame that the pattern does not measure up to your wonderful vision for your fabric.
sahmtodaniel said... (1/7/05 7:05 PM) Reply
Wow - thanks for your very thorough review. I have eyed these patterns for a while, because of the distinctive look, but reading your review makes me very tentative. I would definately only jump in with my eyes wide open! Good for you, for persevering, to get a wearable shirt/jacket out of it. Nice fabric choice too.
Modiste Madness said... (1/7/05 7:04 PM) Reply
It looks great so at least you were rewarded for your perseverence and problem solving.
bunz said... (1/7/05 6:34 PM) Reply
Shona, I tried ONE park bench pattern and was so frustrated that I gave up on that brand. congrats for sticking with it and persevering. The fabric is stunning, but I agree, it could use some taking in.

Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick SB322