Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1312 (Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:Graca

About Gracastarstar
Member since: 7/25/11
Posted on:8/19/12 2:52 PM
Last Updated:8/20/12 10:29 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

Sweater knit fabrics

tiadia said... (5/30/14 2:26 PM) Reply
Love both your versions. Popped over to your blog and really think you nailed it with the shorter length. It's perfect.
KathySews said... (1/8/13 8:45 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for the info on how you shortened this dress. I am 5'2" so always stress over shortening but keeping the designed length integrity. It looks the perfect length on you
Leslie Bonner said... (12/28/12 5:28 PM) Reply
All the versions on Pattern Review have been successful so I am really itching to try it. I have the pattern and the fabric. Thank you for posting more info on your blog.
chenille said... (8/23/12 3:10 AM) Reply
Awesome! That looks great on you.
wimmie said... (8/21/12 10:43 PM) Reply
I am so glad you were able to make the picture bigger. You know 50 is the new 40 and you wear it well. Your dress is beautiful. happy birthday.
CynthiaSue said... (8/21/12 9:48 AM) Reply
Love the blog post! Gorgeous dres And car!
Graca said... (8/20/12 10:33 PM) Reply
Hello everyone, I'm going to apologize if I wasn't as clear as I could have been about the hem adjustment I made. I wrote another blog post that has a photo of the pattern piece. I hope it helps. The link is found under the "Pattern alterations or any design changes you made" section of my review.
DorothyK said... (8/20/12 7:13 PM) Reply
I'm just about to make this dress, so I'm very happy to see your review. I'm most interested in how much you shortened it - it looks like four inches? The dress looks fabulous on you. I'm sure wearing it made your belated birthday even better.
Curly26 said... (8/20/12 1:40 PM) Reply
I am no longer on the fence your vogue pose has convinced me to order the pattern. Thanks for your review and pictures.
norie creates said... (8/20/12 11:57 AM) Reply
I love this dress and I like your pose way better than the model : ). Thanks for the review.
AndreaSews said... (8/20/12 11:08 AM) Reply
So cute! Looks like a fun dress to wear.
betty bushwacker said... (8/20/12 9:39 AM) Reply
OK that tipped the scale for me. I'm ordering this today. I'm 55 and I absolutely love it on you. What stopped me was the rating on the pattern for hourglass shaped figures only. With a raised waistline and a fuller skirt I can't quite figure that one out...
marec said... (8/20/12 9:19 AM) Reply
This dress is really cute and I can see that you enjoyed making it. Nice work and a fun review.
Graca said... (8/20/12 7:50 AM) Reply
I think I fixed the links. The second link that I added has photo of me wearing the dress. I even tried "the Vogue pose" for your entertainment.
Rebecca D said... (8/20/12 7:12 AM) Reply
I add my voice to the others saying, "It would be great to see this on you." Love this dress, have it in the stash and think it may be a major player this fall.
arianamaniacs said... (8/20/12 2:49 AM) Reply
So glad this review has been added, I've been eyeing this! Can you connect a picture to PR though? I prefer that over everyone only giving a thumbnail and I have to cut & paste to go to another site to see it. Also some of your experiences on shortening would be interesting to add to this review. I find that PR outlasts most blogs and then all the helpful information is lost.
mm said... (8/20/12 0:13 AM) Reply
Good to see your review. I have been thinking about this pattern for summer.
jenleeC said... (8/19/12 11:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review and photos. Vogue's ridiculous poses and the black fabric make it almost impossible to assess this pattern.
Curly26 said... (8/19/12 9:15 PM) Reply
I would love to see a picture of you wearing the dress. I am on the fence about trying this pattern.
valerie sews said... (8/19/12 6:52 PM) Reply
Thank you for doing a review of this dress. I will be shortening the dress too as I am the same height as you. BTW I just had trouble with a link too. Be sure to copy all the address. I had a missing bottom line ..
Graca said... (8/19/12 5:42 PM) Reply
I am short, I don't mind saying, a wee 5-foot-1, I should have mentioned that, sorry. I blogged about it over at http://sewessentiallysew.blogspot.ca/ the exact page address is listed in the conclusion, for some reason I couldn't get the link to work for me. The upper skirt pieces (front and back) have "lengthen or shorten here" tags but I did not shorten the skirt back or front (pattern pieces 6 and 7). I only shortened the length on the lower side, front and back skirt pieces (pattern pieces 8, 9 and 10). I shortened these three pieces by folding the hemline up four inches. And I'm totally happy with the length with this adjustment. As for the bodice, I love the fit of the bodice. I don't think that darts would have made me any happier. I think in the next version I could go a size smaller especially at the side armhole area. But that is just my own fitting quirks, not a issue with the pattern. I enjoyed sewing this dress, and hope you do too. I thought it was quite fun to make.
marthamyers said... (8/19/12 4:32 PM) Reply
I forgot to asked your height - hence the comment about the length. Would you share your height?
marthamyers said... (8/19/12 4:31 PM) Reply
I have this pattern in the queue, so I'm pleased to see your review. You mentioned something about it sweeping the floor. Was it too long as is? Also I was worried about the bodice since it has no darts. Would you have liked it any better with fitting darts? Sorry to pepper you with questions. Also any chance of a link to your picture? Your gallery post does not link to a picture. Something larger would be great! Thanks.

by: velosewer