|Pattern Description: Pullover tunic has front and back cut-in-one, no shoulder/side seams, upper right section, left panel, square armholes, left side back zipper, shaped hemline, stitched hem, and unfinished and continuous bias finished edges.|
Pattern Sizing: 6-14. The pattern is for woven fabrics, but based on Ann Smith's enlightening review, I chose a knit and cut a size 8. For a woven I would've chosen a size 10, but I wanted this to be snugger in the knit.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. You match up the lettered points and sew them in alphabetical order. It's pretty fun, because everything's a straight line.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like how off the beaten path this is. The drapes are cool, because they are really open, but when the wind blows, you will feel it. You have to be careful about how you move, too, so you don't flash people. I ended up safety pinning the center front shut at the neckline.
Fabric Used: Polyester knit from Piedmont Fabrics. They gave me a generous 82" for a 2-yard cut, so I decided to use the entire length and make a dress, which is more reasonable for my wardrobe, too.
I ironed on 1/2" of woven interfacing around the edges of each pattern piece and the slit. I don't have a serger, so I used the overlock stitch on my sewing machine to finish the edges, including the slit. That worked well enough for this purpose. I left the hem unfinished and uninterfaced.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I turned the tunic into a dress, which is really just making the rectangle (Pieces 1, 1A, and 1B) longer. I made it longer by 7" in each end. I also decided to use a knit, so I went down a size and ended up making Piece 4 only 5" wide, not the 8" or so the pattern calls for. Also, since it's a knit, there's no zipper and this has ended up being the easiest thing I have to wear.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! My fabric was 60" wide, and the main rectangle of this pattern is only 17.5" wide, so I will be making an identical version. The differences will be a longer and thinner godet (Piece 3), because I had a modesty and fit issue on the right side. For now I've just pinched a bit out and pinned it, but for the next dress I think changing Piece 3 will get the job done.
Conclusion: I'm already planning my next version! Luckily I googled the pattern and in addition to Ann Smith's review found some bloggers' notes on the tunic. They recommended marking all pattern points on the right side of the fabric with painter's tape, which I did: Construction.
I do wish there was a little less exposure and I could wear this to work, but I think for round 2 I'm going to raise the length of the side panels and see if I can't tack the back together so it's not so low.
November 2013 Update The knits I've bought are 60" wide, so when I make this dress, I make two. My best friend and I now have TWO matching dresses. Here we are in the latest iterations, in a dressier black poly with gold flocking:
Front of hers
Front of mine
Back of mine
She had also requested a flared skirt. You can (hopefully) see here how I modified the long left-side rectangle to add a flare below the waist. It worked on hers, and in fact when I tried her dress on before mailing it off I thought it was more fun with the flare, too!
Flared pattern piece