Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5778 (Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:Barbara V

About Barbara Vstarstarstarstar
Posted on:8/29/12 6:25 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
pdiddly said... (9/12/12 3:31 PM) Reply
beautiful dres
Ann Smith said... (8/31/12 12:37 PM) Reply
Great looking dress on you. Love the choice of polka dots. Also I'm amused by Annette's idea to convert your gazebo to stash storage. LOL.
j Renee Design said... (8/31/12 11:47 AM) Reply
your version is wonderful! I love the polka dots and the longer length. Thanks for the shout out! My cowl totally DOES have the same creasy-foldy odd look that yours did when you had the facing in - and I thought mine was doing that because I used a 2-way stretch instead of 4-way! Guess it's just the pattern bein' wonky.
SavageCoco said... (8/30/12 10:48 PM) Reply
Long live the dress that camos the bumpity bits! Beautiful workmanship once again!
sew2little said... (8/30/12 10:37 PM) Reply
A perfect dress to transition into fall in our hot valley.
cleverkitty said... (8/30/12 8:41 AM) Reply
Love your dress, the lazy way I have used too, great review your funny bumpity bumps!
Knitters Delight said... (8/30/12 2:31 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress especially with the fabric you chose. Well done.
2 Airedales n Me said... (8/30/12 1:36 AM) Reply
I am in "sundress making mode" right now and have several patterns and fabrics auditioning on my studio table. This pattern is right there in full view so I was very happy to see your review and the beautiful result of your experiments. Thanks for saving us some time! Really very cute.
Margie T said... (8/30/12 1:33 AM) Reply
Love your work! Lovely dress!
Barbara V said... (8/30/12 0:22 AM) Reply
Thanks for the comments! CynthiaSue, I see what you mean about my dress having a longer waistline than what shows on the envelope. I used the size 8 pattern for the bodice length, so my guess is that it is a combination of the stretchy fabric relaxing down with the weight of the skirt, plus my smallish upper shape that does not fill it "up and out". Making an adjustment to the pattern would be simple if one would like a slightly longer bodice section.
Annette1 said... (8/30/12 0:21 AM) Reply
Can somebody please point me to the POLKA DOTS? :o)) I LOVE this dress. It's just so CLASSY, especially in this length. I also like your way of doing the cowl neck. If I can remember, I may give that a try next time I make a cowl neck. By the way, I wonder if you could CRAM some fabric in that little pagoda back there. It would be covered, at least, and you could pile it in teetering stacks on the chairs and the table, and even UNDER the table. Heh-heh-heh.
CynthiaSue said... (8/29/12 11:54 PM) Reply
You look a thousand times better than the envelope picture!! so elegant! How did you get the dress to not have the empire waist that appears on the envelope picture! Yours looks like it hits almost at your natural waist which I actually like so much more!
marthamyers said... (8/29/12 9:17 PM) Reply
So charming. Gotta love those polka-dots. And you're not lazy - just practical. Nicely done.
NancyZL said... (8/29/12 9:00 PM) Reply
Looks great ! I also wear a size 12 but have been seeing a problem with the neckline on knits so may use size 6-8 in the future. Thanks for such a helpful review!
lamstu said... (8/29/12 8:56 PM) Reply
You always look great - I have never noticed any "body issues!" Such a fun dress here. Your lazy sewing is really smart - a good result and more time to sew something else. Thanks for telling us how you did it.
ArtAttack said... (8/29/12 8:18 PM) Reply
Oh, I LOVE this on you! The polka dots rock! Love it
TJSEWS said... (8/29/12 8:09 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!
Nan Kay said... (8/29/12 7:49 PM) Reply
Love the polka dots! Your dress really looks nice on you.
Christas said... (8/29/12 7:42 PM) Reply
I LOVE this on you! I'm glad you think this dress camouflages many "body issues", but you look fantastic in EVERYTHING you make! Actually, I'm thinking "WHAT body issues"? :-)
DorothyK said... (8/29/12 7:00 PM) Reply
Barbara, this is a terrific dress and the fabric is so sassy. Did you do this after you returned from Jackson? After all, you had one day less :)

April Rhodes Date Night Dress

by: soelimano

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern