|Butterick: 5775 (Bags) - Type:Accessories |
|Viewed 171 times
|Reviewed by:||style inspired|
|About style inspired |
|Member since: 6/4/10 |
|Reviews written: 42|
|Favored by: 1 people|
|patterns reviewed: 40|
|Posted on:||2/9/13 5:56 PM |
|Last Updated:||2/9/13 7:04 PM|
Butterick Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Easy & Great for Beginners |
|See other patterns in this category: Accessories |
|Available for sale on PR: $2.24 (See envelope) |
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: Lined Bags have inside slip pocket and purchased snap closure. A: 14"W. x 14"L. B: 14"W. x 11"L. This bag is identical to Vogue 8680. View A has side tabs to hold in the width. View B has a zipper closure and double straps. I made view A.|
More photos on my blog.
lining and pocket
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions are detailed with lots of diagrams.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I wanted a simple purse pattern without a lot of seams or pieces so my fabric would be the highlight. The pattern has pieces for the lining and the facing. The purse is closed by a magnetic snap attached to small tabs caught in the facing/lining seam. The slip pocket is made from doubled fabric and is divided into two sections by stitching down it- one section is darted to make space for a cellphone. The outer front piece is larger than the outer back piece to form the bottom and sides. At the top of the purse the side fullness folded in and held in place by the tabs. This detail isn't so easy to see on the Butterick photo. All seam allowances are 1/2 inch.
Fabric Used: dot cotton brocade in colours of black, red, brown and chartreuse. It's a remnant from a dress my mother made about 40 years. I only had enough fabric to cut out the front and back piece, and the tabs. I used black polyester cotton twill for the facings, for the back side of all the tabs and for the strap. A remnant of cotton poplin was used for the lining.
I bought one inch wide belting to stiffen the shoulder strap.
The pattern calls for sew in interfacing 20 inches wide- according to the instructions it has to be pieced. I laid the lining pieces side ways so didn't need to piece it - I used hair canvas interfacing. Baukram might have been stiffer and cheaper.
Turning the side tabs around with half of the magnetic snap inside was slow work because of the tight space. I cut out larger tabs for the top closures to make it easier to turn around- they were a bit too wide so they were cut done in size and restitched.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made it smaller by 1/2 inch in height by folding over the seam allowance markings on the top pieces. It is a huge bag- I could have cut in down in height and width by two inch both ways and it would still have lots of storage space.
Conclusion: Even though I looked at the dimensions before cutting out, it's bigger than expected.
|Buy this pattern for $2.24 List Price: |$2.99 Add to Bag