Pattern Reviews> KnipMode Magazine> 01-2011-13 (Relaxed Fit Jeans)

Reviewed by:treefrog

Last Updated:4/30/15 1:41 AM
Project Photo:KnipMode Magazine: 01-2011-13 by treefrog

KnipMode Magazine: 01-2011-13 by treefrog
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Denim  [See other projects in this fabric]
Updated 30/4/15 Yet another version of these jeans as my current pair are looking a bit worn. The denim is a non-stretch 14oz denim - a bit stiff at the moment but they will loosen up fairly quickly. I extended the pocket facings to the fly and used a fun geometric print.

pocket detail
inside

Pattern Description: The original pattern is a relaxed fit Jean with front pocket detail and contoured waistband. Waistband 2.5cm below waist.

I've made this pattern four times now, tweaking the fit as I go and have now taken most of the bagginess out of these so they are more "regular" fit than "relaxed fit"

My original review is here

Pattern Sizing: 34 - 46. Consistent with KnipMode pattern sizing. Relaxed fit below hip level.

Fabric Used: Heavy black cotton denim - probably 16oz. The topstitching is a burgundy thread and the rivets are "black onyx"

Instructions: The instructions are in Dutch and I've made so many jeans that I don't need to refer to them. I just look at the pictures ( ie tech drawing and pattern layout) as a guide.

The only real difference is to sew & topstitch the V piece onto the front leg before attaching the pocket lining . My construction method is pretty much the same as that for KwikSew's men's jeans (3504). KwikSew's instructions are an excellent reference.

I added my treefrog logo, in charcoal and burgundy, onto the left hand side pocket for a bit of fun.

Likeness to pattern photo/drawing: The pocket detail is the same but the fit is very different due to my changes.

Likes & Dislikes: I like the front pocket. It is still a 5 pocket jean but it is enough to make it a little different from the standard RTW offerings and I'd like to think that the diagonal line makes my hips not look as big ( ha ha, who am I kidding!)

Sew again? Recommend it? This is a TNT jeans pattern for me so I can see this being used a lot.

Other Projects by treefrog using this Pattern

Sweater knit fabrics

julie w said... (5/1/15 5:56 PM) Reply
Great jeans that are fantastically sewn as always.
MrsCharisma said... (4/30/15 5:12 PM) Reply
Absolute perfection! Fantastic!
carolynw said... (4/30/15 11:43 AM) Reply
This is a pair of jeans you would pay $$$$ for in a high end store. Your sewing is absolutely perfect.
April Hay said... (4/30/15 10:40 AM) Reply
Perfection!
jjosiejo said... (4/30/15 10:39 AM) Reply
Nice topstitching and I love the contrast lining!
leslan said... (4/30/15 10:27 AM) Reply
Another amazing construction job. Gorgeous detailing.
kjcaron said... (4/30/15 9:58 AM) Reply
great looking jeans!
marec said... (4/30/15 9:32 AM) Reply
Those are inspiring-I wish I could look at them close up and personal so I could learn more about construction. You are really talented.
Levone said... (4/30/15 9:03 AM) Reply
Amazing looking jeans!
msschiel said... (4/30/15 7:54 AM) Reply
These look professionally made! Great job.
goosegreen said... (4/30/15 7:44 AM) Reply
These are great Treefrog.
mm said... (4/30/15 6:44 AM) Reply
I am impressed that anyone can make jeans and these are particularly good.
Sharonspils said... (4/30/15 6:01 AM) Reply
Great looking jeans and I purchased my rivets from M-Recht as well.
isewnow said... (4/30/15 5:56 AM) Reply
you are amazing!
Margaret said... (9/5/12 10:23 AM) Reply
Great jeans! Nice alternative to the standard details and colors!
Dilliander said... (9/5/12 5:33 AM) Reply
Thanks treefrog! Looks like a good local source for rivets.
arianamaniacs said... (9/5/12 3:01 AM) Reply
these are the best!
BeaJay said... (9/4/12 6:22 PM) Reply
Love your jeans. I am in awe of anyone who can successfully sew jeans. Great job.
treefrog said... (9/4/12 5:54 PM) Reply
Dilliander - I bought them through M-Recht in Melbourne but had to get DH to make up a tool for me to be able to set them
Dilliander said... (9/4/12 5:44 AM) Reply
These are great, with wonderful detail on the pockets! The black onyx rivets are very nice too. Wondering where you buy these?
Sigrid. said... (9/4/12 2:05 AM) Reply
Another great pair. Inspiring details. I'll check my knip mode issues for those details, their pants drawings are not good for me, but can use it for adapying my own pattern. This pocket definitely is a lovely accent, epecially with your logo.
renren said... (9/4/12 1:59 AM) Reply
Very nice! I like the black onyx rivets and the treefrog foot and toes reaching out of the pocket. Clever!

Understanding Wool Fabrics