Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2813 (Crafts Pet Pillows and Coats)

Reviewed by:Melody

About Melodystarstar
MI United States
Member since: 2/7/02
Posted on:1/15/05 12:37 PM
Last Updated:1/15/05 1:47 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Pets
Daingeann said... (3/17/12 8:00 PM) Reply
I used this pattern to make the sleeved version for my Hungarian Vizsla (all 5 of them) All needed more breadth in the chest - it seems most patterns are for narrow chested dogs. I think the bitches got away with the medium to large size with added width in the chest, and the ribbing on the belly keeps it nicely tight. nfortunately for my boy even the XL size hasn't fitted - still needs more room in the chest (at the front, not in depth) and I haven't quite worked out how. I also like my dog coats to cover the hips and a bit more for winter. This pattern needs a little more length along the back. Overall it was easy to sew, I assembly lined five coats and the dogs were all toasty warm in short order. I used polar fleece with ribbing. And maybe I should take some photos LOL
Margi said... (3/1/06 4:33 PM) Reply
Your dog looks sooo cute! (and happy in her new coat!) The coat sewed out beautifully!
Kathy in NM said... (1/20/05 9:15 AM) Reply
Ah Melody - that is so funny about your kitty walking backwards until the coat came off!!!! I think that is what mine would do. Yet, they love to hide under things, so maybe not. In any case, it would be at least entertaining! Thanks again for the reveiw and info about the cats.
Melody said... (1/16/05 6:55 PM) Reply
Eli, I've made one for a Doxie, I can't remember if he fit into the small or medium. It doesn't take much fabric just as much as your dog is long--from neck to tail, and you could probably get two. Yes, I love sewing for the pets. Kathy, I have two cats, one hated it so much, she walked backwards until it came off. The other one, who's much older and probably colder, really likes it.
AnneM said... (1/16/05 8:41 AM) Reply
Very cute pup!
Kathy in NM said... (1/15/05 6:47 PM) Reply
Cute Lucy! - and a lucky dog also. Now, you say your cat has one and likes it???? Really? Your cat doesn't try to take it off? Seems my cats wouldn't like anything on them. Thanks for the review.
Eli said... (1/15/05 6:05 PM) Reply
That is cute! :) I have a doxie and have been thinking of trying this pattern mostly because it covers the tummy and doexies have short legs so their tummies get wet/muddy easily. Isn't it fun to sew for pets?! How much fabric does it take for size small?
Melody said... (1/15/05 3:06 PM) Reply
Lucy weighs about 35 lbs and her chest measures approx 25" and from neck to tail she's 22". The pattern piece for the large fits 31" across chest. It seems like the XL will fit your Lucy because the large is a little big on my Lucy. It says XL fits 24-26" neck to tail.HTH
sosoatsewing said... (1/15/05 2:01 PM) Reply
That looks so cozy! I think I'll have to sew up one for my dog, also named Lucy. How is the sizing? I see your dog is medium sized. My dog is about 80 lbs and broad in the chest, boxer and husky you think the XL would fit?