|Vogue Patterns: 1236 (Misses' Dress and Belt) - Type:Dresses |
|Viewed 191 times
||34 more reviews|
|About missaudrey |
|Member since: 9/14/11 |
|Reviews written: 3|
|patterns reviewed: 3|
|Posted on:||9/12/12 12:31 PM |
|Last Updated:||10/15/13 2:51 PM|
Vogue Patterns Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Easy & Great for Beginners |
|See other patterns in this category: Dresses Accessories |
|Available for sale on PR: $24.00 (See envelope) |
|Fabric:||Cotton-Lycra Woven [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: |
A plain sheath dress with pleated neckline and self belt
I cut a 16.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?
More or less. Vogue can be a little vague (ha).
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I thought the pattern itself was great, though I wasn't crazy about the suggested thread belt loops, and the front facing is drafted incredibly short.
Nanette Lepore striped stretch cotton from Elliot Berman, $20/yd
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
- I cut the front and back pieces longer than drafted, since other reviewers indicated they were quite short.
- I should have cut a smaller size in the bodice and graded to a 16 in the skirt, but unfortunately, the size "break" rendered that tough to do. I took in 1/2" under the arms at either side instead.
- I tacked the front facing to the back side of the bodice pleats to avoid "flipping." It helped, but you should really draft a longer front facing if you can.
- I did the all-in-one facing outlined here: http://stitchywitch.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/tutorial-lining-a-sleeveless-dress/
Much better than hand sewing!
- I lowered the pockets a bit so they didn't poof out the hips so much.
- I made honest-to-goodness belt loops
- I did a blind hem at the bottom
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
It's a very simple dress to make that really shines with the right fabric. Easy to wear and dress up, too. I love it.
Definitely a favorite, and a great project to build confidence for beginning sewists!
|Buy this pattern for $24.00 List Price: |$30.00 Add to Bag