Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 07-2012-112 (Bittersweet/Godet Dress)

Reviewed by:MelaD

About MelaD
Member since: 11/20/11
Posted on:9/21/12 9:49 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
MelaD said... (8/15/15 12:54 PM) Reply
Hi burgetja, I had to look at the dress again to remember. It was hard to figure out, but this is what I did. Take the front and side front pieces. The side front piece has the pleat material. 1.You sew 2 separate seams to connect the front and side front. There will be a gap after you make these 2 seams, but you'll fix that when you make the pleat. a. first seam- sew the inside pleat edge of the side front to the front between mark 1 and 2, a straight seam. b. sew the side front to the front from the mark 2 to the bottom of the dress. 2. fold the pleat and press so the pleat is to the sleeve side. 3. stitch the bottom of the pleat to close it up, I did this on the inside from the front 2 mark to the folded pleat edge. 4. stitch the top of the pleat to the side front shoulder seam. Hope this helps
burgetja said... (8/14/15 2:40 AM) Reply
Hi MelaD, I'm trying to make this dress right now and I don't understand the shoulder to bust pleats. Could you try to explain how you constructed them? Thanks!
marmaladefille said... (2/1/13 0:51 AM) Reply
You really did a beautiful job on this retro/modern dress. I am very intrigued by this pattern but also intimidated.
taylormade said... (9/23/12 4:29 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for your response. I'll look closely at those shoulder pleats before I attempt the pattern. I hope to post a review when I'm finished!
MelaD said... (9/22/12 10:47 PM) Reply
To answer taylormade: the godets weren't hard at all. I was kind of worried about inserting them, since I'd never used godets before. So I consulted Sandra Betzina's book "Power Sewing: Step-by-Step" for her advice on godets. Basically if you match the seamline top point of the godet, where the seamlines meet, with the point to insert in the dress seam it'll work fine. I topstitched close to the seam and was pleased with the look. I think this pattern may work without the belt depending on the fabric used. Maybe use the different color godets like in the Burda Magazine picture. Additional note: the shoulder to bust pleats were the hardest thing for me to understand on this pattern. I'd never seen them before.
Michele Lommasson said... (9/22/12 8:04 PM) Reply
Darling dress!
Merche said... (9/22/12 4:40 PM) Reply
Great dress. The colour combo is splendid! I know what you mean about the Burda instructions, I leart how to sew following them, and it was not an easy task!
carolynw said... (9/22/12 1:45 PM) Reply
So nice - love how this looks on you
taylormade said... (9/22/12 1:38 PM) Reply
I'm so glad you posted this review. I'm wanting to make this dress, but had some questions on the godet,etc. Also on the fit at the bust line. Did you have a lot of problems with inserting the godets? The dress looks really good on you! Love your color choices! I'm thinking of leaving off the belt also. Do you think that would work. Thanks so much for the review!
Heatherrique said... (9/22/12 11:40 AM) Reply
Very stylish dress!
PattyE said... (9/22/12 11:00 AM) Reply
Great dress
JEF said... (9/22/12 6:31 AM) Reply
Congrats on your first review. What an interesting dress. I think it looks great...comfortable with style.
moonthirty said... (9/22/12 1:11 AM) Reply
Looks awesome, Mela! Beautiful dress and great review. :-)
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (9/22/12 0:53 AM) Reply
That looks lovely on you, very nice work! Reminds me of a vintage 1920's dress but with a modern edge.
said... (9/22/12 0:18 AM) Reply
You picked a real retro feel with the color choices...I was wondering when this dress would pop up here. That issue was chock full of dresses. Nice work!

Folkwear 112