|Pattern Description: |
A loose cross-over back on the pinafore-style top. The Sandpiper Top crisscrosses in the back and fastens in the front at each shoulder with a button. Reversible!
Sizes 2T-8. I made the 3T.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I loved the elegant take on a classic child's pinafore top. I'd always wanted to make one. There are no seams at all, which makes it very comfortable for a small child.
Handkerchief linen (IL020) from fabrics-store.com.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Isha lives in a very hot and humid country, so rather than making it the usual way (reversible in two layers of quilting cotton) I wanted to make it in a single layer of handkerchief linen. To finish the edges I cut a 3/4" contrast bias facing for the entire edge, finished the inside edge of the facing with the overlock, attached the facing to the right side of the top with a 1/4" seam, turned it to the inside and tacked it down with two rows of topstitching.
The result is okay. It's a cute shape and very light. The facing isn't super obvious because it's on the inside, but it's a mess. Overlocking the edge was hard because even a little tension crumpled up the linen. When I loosened the tension enough that the linen lay flat, the threads were too loose to make a tidy finish.
Because the facing is so narrow and cut on the bias, it stretched out of shape like mad with even a little handling, especially the overlocking. Even after patting it into shape there are places where it's too narrow and others where it's too wide.
(For the facing I traced out the shape of the top and traced out another line 3/4" inside that. Then I cut the facing pattern in two so that I could lay the pieces more-or-less along the bias and also get better allocation. The straps are fully-faced and interfaced in the areas of the buttons and buttonholes.)
I made another version where I eliminated the facing except for the front at the button tabs and the buttonhole ends of the shoulder straps. The edges are much less wavy and when I get a photo of that one I'll post it the review.
Isha picked the faced top to wear though, and not the other one, so clearly she didn't mind the wavy edges and the uneven facing.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes! I hope to make many more once I get the finishing worked out.
My flickr set for this pattern.
Isn't Isha a cutie-pie?
The last photo in the set, in red, is the one where I just topstitched down the seam allowances with no other finishing. Isha is two years seven months and wearing a Size 3T.
The two previous photos, purple top and yellow shorts, show the top that I faced in blue. Not nuts about the result. Isha is three years one month and wearing a Size 3T.
All the other photos in the set, purple top and yellow-orange shorts, show the same faced, size 3T top but Isha is younger, 26 months old. In these photos the top doesn't seem to hang right at the side. Don't know if that's because the top's too big, the button placement is wrong, it needs more flare in the cut, or whether it's just because her shorts are on backwards (they are) and pooching out in the front and pushing the top out.