Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Project Photo:BurdaStyle Magazine: 10-2009-102 by Immelu

Pattern Photo:

Pattern Info provided by Immelu

Pattern Rating:Mediocre Pattern
NEW! See reviews of patterns from this issue
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Faux Fur  [See other projects in this fabric]
Related Links
Click on to add a link
*Edited 12/28/13*
Updated for black version:
Black Version

Sorry, I have no idea why the thumbnail is sideways. The link above should work though.

For this version, I removed the pockets and taped the top and bottom pieces together so there was only one piece for each front and back. In the brown version, there is a seam that runs around the vest where the pockets are.
I LOVE this vest... I guess I am a furry vest gal after all.

*edited 12/22/13**
I finally got around to shortening this vest a couple of weeks ago. It hadn't been worn once since I made it because I felt like it was a weird, furry, brown labcoat vest.

I chopped off about 6 inches from the bottom, hemmed it up and have worn it a couple of times already! It's really, really warm and great for the weather we've been having.

Here is the shortened version:
Front

Back

I was in hancocks the other day and bought this same fabric in black to make another one.

Pattern Description: Longish vest with pockets on the front

Pattern Sizing: I made a straight up 38, but I should have made the next size up for the hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, as much as you can tell from the magazine picture.

Were the instructions easy to follow? ehh, this is burda. I'm not sure I added all the seam allowances that I was supposed to. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to add them to the front or not. I forgot on the real fabric, but remembered to on the lining. I think I should have.

I also only sort of followed their directions. They have you sew the fashion fabric, but not the side seams, then sew the lining together at the shoulders. Sew the facings together with the lining, then stitch together at neck and arms and turn. then they have you do some things with the facing that I think I screwed up because I didn't have the seam allowances. Then sew the lining and vest side seams in one continuous seam. They have you hand stitch the remainder of the facing and the hem.

I more or less followed that, but I flipped it inside out to sew the bottom hem, left a little opening and turned. I also just turned under the front facing with the lining and top stitched. It's probably not exactly what they intended, but it works.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I bought this faux fur as a 1 yd remnant from Joanns over the summer with the intent of making a vest once fall got here. I wanted a easy style, and I liked the pockets on this.

Fabric Used: faux fur from Joanns, brown jersey pockets.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I raised the pocket seam, and the back seam by a couple of inches before I cut it out. I wasn't sure if I would like the length on me, and thought that I might end up shortening, so I moved them up so that I could shorten it without the pockets in the say.

I'm STILL not sure what I like...if I like it at all.

Here it is long:
2nd front view
Back View

And here it is shorter. I measured and the back length is about 23 inches. It's just pinned right now.
Shorter Front
Shorter Back

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I probably will not sew it again, but I would recommend it if someone wants a vest pattern with pockets.

Conclusion: I'm not really sure what to do with this one. It's just pinned up right now. Opinions?? Long, short or Goodwill???

thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
PattyE said...
What about the long version with a belt? Or shorten the short version. It's a cool looking faux fur.
10/21/12 0:15 AM
KensingtonCrab said...
I like the long version and it would be cute with a belt! I think you'll be glad to have it when the weather gets cooler.
10/21/12 3:53 PM
Elke said...
I like the long version.
10/21/12 8:17 PM
PeggyA said...
I also vote for the long version and agree that you might try a wide belt.
10/21/12 10:57 PM
inkstain said...
Definitely the longer version, with no flares, but slim pants to balance the furry upper half and absolutely no wide flat shoes, but a stylish heeled boot. Half the fun of wearing a fashion like this is making it sing with the right styling! Great vest in the making!
10/22/12 1:41 PM
Immelu said...
Thanks for the votes, and definitely thanks for the tips on how to style inkstain! I admit that I am pretty clueless. I've got the pants, and I have the boots..I'll try it and see what I think!
10/22/12 5:55 PM

Burda 6923 Pattern
Burda 6923 Pattern

Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8925 Pattern ( Size LRG-XLG-XXL )
Vogue 8925 Pattern ( Size LRG-XLG-XXL )

Price: $22.50

You Can Make This No Tie Apron No Tie Apron
Review by Pj3g on 4/5/13
Read Review

Blank Slate Pristine Swing Dress Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Pristine Swing Dress Digital Pattern

Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Open Toe Slingbacks Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )
Peek-A Boo Open Toe Slingbacks Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )

Price: $3.99

J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern
J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern

Price: $20.00

PerfectFuse Medium White
PerfectFuse Medium White

Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us