Online Sewing Class: Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 3938 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:PegL

About PegLstar
MO USA
Member since: 2/18/04
Posted on:1/24/05 1:27 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
rhgadavis said... (1/28/05 11:23 AM) Reply
Your binding looks great--so professional. Nice job. A pattern doesn't have to be complicated to look really good.
PegL said... (1/26/05 12:03 PM) Reply
Georgene, I picked up a package of "Maxant" buttons to cover from Hancocks. It was these are Dritz and I just don't like Dritz so..... This kit came with the little plastic do-hickey (the technical term!) to push the fabric and button blank into and a little plastic thing to help push the back of the button in place. I couldn't do it with my fingers so I used the wood block from my buttonhole cutter and a small hammer! Those buttons are not going to come apart on me! LOL The package only costs $1.39 -- lots cheaper than buttons!
Danvillegirl said... (1/26/05 5:47 AM) Reply
Very nice. I like the look of this jacket, classic. Thanks for reviewing.
Georgene said... (1/25/05 10:23 PM) Reply
Thanks for the close up detail, I had no idea just how cool this jacket was until I saw that. What sort of 'make your own button' blank do you use? Beautiful work!
PegL said... (1/25/05 10:18 PM) Reply
Thanks for the nice comments! I should check back here more often -- it really brightened my day!
Nancy Anne said... (1/25/05 1:46 PM) Reply
What a professional looking jacket! You did a beautiful job.
JoleneF said... (1/25/05 7:35 AM) Reply
This turned out beautiful. It looks like you got a nice fit too.
Shellia said... (1/24/05 8:13 PM) Reply
Great jacket. I would like to make one for my Mother, I hope it is not OOP.
jlg said... (1/24/05 8:03 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks great on you. Beautifully done.
Debbie Cook said... (1/24/05 7:36 PM) Reply
Peg, great jacket! I love self-fabric covered buttons too. It just adds that extra touch because you don't see them so much these days. Your quilting experience shows -- your binding looks perfect! Looks like a very comfortable *and* flattering jacket, a combo not always easy to find.
PegL said... (1/24/05 7:17 PM) Reply
Oh my goodness...Thanks everybody for the really nice comments! Penny -- it really is an easy jacket! Only 3 pattern pieces and as I said sew the sleeve in flat. Penelope - mitering binding is really very simple -- I'll send you a drawing for an easy way to do it. Mary Reed, I think this jacket would be excellent in fleece! In fact, that's what the pattern lists to use. I guess I'm old fashioned, I really prefer the fabric covered buttons for a lot of things -- just looks more polished and classy to me.
ryan's mom said... (1/24/05 7:00 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks terrific, and I especially like the big covered buttons. Usually I just go with store buttons, but the covered ones you did really give the jacket a great look.
JDpenelope said... (1/24/05 6:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful craftmanship, as usual. Amen to Nickle's comment: You make it sound easy. I wish I had your experience with, for example, mitering--to name just one sewing skill brought to bear on this lovely jacket.
BjP said... (1/24/05 4:35 PM) Reply
Good review and very nice looking jacket. I also like the fact that you used self-covered buttons - something we just don't do much anymore but yet looks so nice.
cindyann said... (1/24/05 4:28 PM) Reply
Lovely! Wonderful color.
CatherineN said... (1/24/05 3:07 PM) Reply
The self binding is better looking than another trim would have been. It doesn't detract from the pretty color of the fabric.
Denny1600 said... (1/24/05 2:47 PM) Reply
Peg--Wow! You did a very nice job. The jacket fits you well, the binding looks great and the buttons are well done, too. The whole thing is great!
Mary Reed said... (1/24/05 2:23 PM) Reply
Wow!! I have this OOP!! I'll have to make it up - what do you think about fleece?
Nickle said... (1/24/05 2:04 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks like it fits you to a tee! Very nice jacket, I like your fabric choice. You made it sound so easy. Penny

StyleArc Twiggy Dress