|I made this costume for Halloween, and it worked out quite well. The light fabric is a polyester silk brocade and the wine colored fabric is a heavier upholstery brocade. I did pattern A in the adult large size, and being an American size 10 I found that it fit me quite well, though I did cut the pattern pieces a bit outside the line and then took in the seams to fit as I progressed. I only made two modifications: (1) I added a zipper in the back because there's no way I have the patience to lace myself into a costume from shoulder to butt, and (2) I did not include the lining or the interfacing (except for the back bands that hold the grommets for the laces---you DEFINITELY need the interfacing to make them stiff enough). I also made two superficial adjustments: (1) I changed the color of the side front and side back pieces to be the darker color (different from the official pattern photo), and (2) I left off the lace down the front and around the waist, because it looked too tacky when I pinned it on. |
There are 11 pattern pieces (13 if you do option B which has a collar), which is a lot, but the instructions do a good job of telling you what to sew when. The bodice and the skirt, for example, each have 7 pieces: one shared white piece (in my photo) that extends from the top of the bodice down to the bottom of the skirt, and 6 wine-colored (in my photo) side & back pieces. This is pretty crazy, but it has two upsides: (1) there are plenty of seams to fine-tune the fit, and (2) if you lose weight there are plenty of seams to take in!
Overall, this was a nice pattern and fairly easy to follow, given that I haven't done any sewing in about 10 years. It took me about 4 days, working 4-6 hours a day, from the time I cut the first of 13 pattern pieces to the time I sewed the last bit of lace on. The toughest part was doing the gathering at the waist, I had to get my mom to help with that, but everything else I did alone.
EDIT: I lost a lot of weight recently, so I went back and took in the seams along the front panel and underneath the arms. Wasn't too hard. Also added some interfacing to the front panel above the waist, as well as two strips of boning along the front panel seams so I can wear it without a bra. Front panel still wrinkles (as you can see from the updated pic), so I think I just need to use thicker fabric next time.